Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Good point on the angled tiles "hiding" errors in the tile work or construction of the house. Never thought of that.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
3/27/13 Update: Permanent stairs get installed today.

The permanent stairs arrived last night as the carpenter backed his trailer in the drive to prepare for today. I got a peak at them sitting in his trailer and they look awesome and will get some pics today. He is estimating that they weigh in around 3,000lbs and we have 6 guys lined-up to help get them into the house today......should be interesting to say the least!
Kitchen cabinets arrive on Thursday!

Here are a few more pics of the tile floor in the master bath, all that is left to do is clean-up and grout it but I am waiting for the well to be drilled and water hooked-up for that task. Next up will be the shower and bath tub surround. Also, I am including a pic of the re-claimed barn beam we are using for our fireplace mantle.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Everything looks sweet Jeff. Hope everything continues to move along smoothly for ya. Your pics created a nice study break for me here in these wee hours of the morning
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM
MC Devotee

Good to hear it and look forward to seeing you on the water this summer! Now get back to studying because it is only a matter of time until I will need a good lawyer for something!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Good to hear it and look forward to seeing you on the water this summer! Now get back to studying because it is only a matter of time until I will need a good lawyer for something!
Back at ya man... We need this white stuff to go away first though....
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
The permanent stairs arrived last night as the carpenter backed his trailer in the drive to prepare for today. I got a peak at them sitting in his trailer and they look awesome and will get some pics today. He is estimating that they weigh in around 3,000lbs and we have 6 guys lined-up to help get them into the house today......should be interesting to say the least!
Kitchen cabinets arrive on Thursday!

Here are a few more pics of the tile floor in the master bath, all that is left to do is clean-up and grout it but I am waiting for the well to be drilled and water hooked-up for that task. Next up will be the shower and bath tub surround. Also, I am including a pic of the re-claimed barn beam we are using for our fireplace mantle.
Uhhh, 3000 lb/6 guys = 500lb each. Lifting them is one thing, moving them in and positioning them is another. How is this going to work, without someone being crushed?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Uhhh, 3000 lb/6 guys = 500lb each. Lifting them is one thing, moving them in and positioning them is another. How is this going to work, without someone being crushed?
NOT TOO GOOD!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:

If they weigh 3000 lbs I hope you got them from a mason and not a carpenter.

Can't wait to see the stairs. Fropm what I hear, most of the country builds stairs off site. Around here they are all built by the framer and trimmed by the finish carpenter. (Except for some really high end jobs.)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM
MC Devotee

When I arrived today to move the monster steps, the carpenter informed me that he miscalculated the weight and that it was only 2,000 lbs......made it better but still a heavy load. After I was able to lift one end of it myself roughly 5 inches off the ground, I would figure the weight to be closer to 1000lbs/1500lbs but hey, 2000lbs sounds a lot better! We put a 2x4 thru the steps, at each end, put one guy on either side of each 2x4 and managed to move it with 4 guys. We had to move it roughly 40 feet from the trailer to the house and then lift it roughly 3 feet up into the house where we put it on 2 furniture dollies and rolled it over into position. After we got it there, we simply rotated it and 3 of us lifted it into place while one guy kept the base from kicking out meanwhile the carpenter was on the topside lining things up and getting ready to bolt it into place. All total it took about 30 minutes and was one heck of a workout!

Steps and stringers are solid red oak and the craftsmenship is very nice. Can't wait to see it with the railing added.
Attached Images

Last edited by jkski; 03-27-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
If they weigh 3000 lbs I hope you got them from a mason and not a carpenter.

Can't wait to see the stairs. Fropm what I hear, most of the country builds stairs off site. Around here they are all built by the framer and trimmed by the finish carpenter. (Except for some really high end jobs.)
With steel being about 490 lb/ft³, it could have had thin wood veneer and still come in at less than 2000 lb.

You're probably right- most stairs that are meant to make a statement are build off-site because they need flat/level/climate controlled (ideally) areas to work and assemble, unlike most job sites. Basement stairs made of pine are one thing, but this is different.