Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I certainly can not speak for the experience of others but I have been very happy with my choice of builder and given the amount of work I wanted to handle myself, we have worked together very well and not caused any delays thus far. The remaining items that we are handling are al pretty much incidental and can be taken care of after we move in if we so choose, granted, I won't wait to take care of them!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Looking great!

You and Boyd are going to end up on "Angie's List"

Sweet looking pad, cannot wait to hear that you bought the adjoining land and start digging "Joshua Ski Lake"

Peace and continued good luck.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Tile looks good. Was it that much more labor intensive to with the tile on the 45 angle? I really like the look of the angle.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '08 X14 sold, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
great tile job .... is that slate in the bottom photo? We just had slate installed in the basement ... took them forever to get it installed level and flush but i love the look of slate

heck of a project ... love all the pictures

So what is on the agenda for the summer projects?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
Tiling was great to learn!
Found out quick it was easy to swing by the Home Depot and pick up HOSE-A HOSE-B and Roberto to get the job done quicker
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
Tile looks good. Was it that much more labor intensive to with the tile on the 45 angle? I really like the look of the angle.
Doing tile on an angle is actually very easy, you just need to unplug your brain a bit and not overthink it. Doing an off-set angle pattern is a bit more tricky than a simple angle but again, nothing that a DIY'r can't handle obviously. There are tools to help and tricks to learn, just like with most things so if you think it is something you are going to take on, feel free to drop me a line and I will be happy to walk you through it.

I have found that an angle pattern actually makes a room look different, some say larger. The other thing, and this is big for us DIY'rs, it allows for a little error in your grout lines as people who look at it will never be looking directly down a grout line to see just how straight it is. Obviously you want to keep it straight, but I know from my experience that things do not always go according to plan.

Try the angle pattern, you will like it!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
great tile job .... is that slate in the bottom photo? We just had slate installed in the basement ... took them forever to get it installed level and flush but i love the look of slate

heck of a project ... love all the pictures

So what is on the agenda for the summer projects?
That particular tile is actually just a porcelain made to look and feel like slate. The tile was $2.88/tile and I believe the slate was a good bit more and as you pointed out, slate is not nearly as forgiving for the DIY'r.

As for the summer projects......well, we have a deck to build, landscaping to tackle and hopefully a 40x60 pole barn to build (this may have to wait until I can re-stock the piggy bank though.......gonna have to get young Joshua out there mowing lawns or something, do you think that 2 years old is too young!!!)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
Looking great!

You and Boyd are going to end up on "Angie's List"

Sweet looking pad, cannot wait to hear that you bought the adjoining land and start digging "Joshua Ski Lake"

Peace and continued good luck.
Believe me man, if there was any way to do it, I would!!! I have aerial photo's with a lake drawn in but it would require me to be in Bill Gates will and possibly Warren Buffett's as well!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Doing tile on an angle is actually very easy, you just need to unplug your brain a bit and not overthink it. Doing an off-set angle pattern is a bit more tricky than a simple angle but again, nothing that a DIY'r can't handle obviously. There are tools to help and tricks to learn, just like with most things so if you think it is something you are going to take on, feel free to drop me a line and I will be happy to walk you through it.

I have found that an angle pattern actually makes a room look different, some say larger. The other thing, and this is big for us DIY'rs, it allows for a little error in your grout lines as people who look at it will never be looking directly down a grout line to see just how straight it is. Obviously you want to keep it straight, but I know from my experience that things do not always go according to plan.

Try the angle pattern, you will like it!
Placing tile on an angle also hides non-square walls. I have a customer with a house that was built in 1905 and the 12' x 23' sun room isn't square, flat, plumb or level and they're having marble tile installed ($14K) on an angle. Looks great, although I think I would have tried to have the point meet the center of the French doors, but I'm not going to tell Gary (the tile guy) about that. The North wall is off by 2" just in the 4' from the door trim to the step into the house. With the tile at an angle, it will be far less noticeable.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
MC Devotee

I agree, an angle would absolutely help in the scenarion where you don't have a square room. If they find the true center of the room and work toward the walls you can generally get your opposite wall tiles to be about the same on each side but in his case, it may not end up that way with an out of plumb room but at least all of the cuts are hidden at the walls!