Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Congrats...looking forward to the posts. I'm finishing our basement now...with help. I started 5 years ago. Made more progress in the past few months by hiring a few things done!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Might be dyed blue to keep weed growth down??

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Yep, I dye it with Aquashade or Crystal Blue to keep weed growth down. The pond is runoff fed and stairs nice and clean but I still get a little bit of weed growth by the shoreline where the water is shallower and light can penetrate.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Things can only go up from here.......right!

OK, so after yesterdays fiasco I decided it was a new day and it had to get better........WRONG! Started off at 4am trying to spread the rest of the stone so that the block and slinger trucks could get in today, this was after I removed the tracks from the skidder because I broke a pin last night. Well, I manged to pop both rear wheels off the rim and bury the machine, so the tires are likely trashed now and the skidder is in up to it's belly.

I decided to take a step back from the situation now that it is clear I am overmatched, so the dozer will be arriving sometime this morning to do the job the right way and at the same time I will let him pull out my skidder!

As for actual work that got completed yesterday, well, the despite the mud and circus, the footers are in, footer drains are in and once the dozer gets done the slinger and block trucks should get in.....hopefully.

Well, I have had enough for one day so it is off to my day job!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
You are correct, it is a risky venture if you don't trust the guy you are working with but fortunately I do and the figures he provided me I have bid out myself and can't get it done any cheaper.

The banks in our area (Ohio) are no longer allowing anyone to GC their own home unless they are an approved contractor, which means, among other things, that they do it for a living and have built at least 3 homes in the past year. I could have GC'd it if I wanted to do an End Loan but my name is not Buffet or Gates unfortunately! So, in my scenario I agreed to a cost plus 8% set-up which, in my area, is well below the % that most GC's are charging.

Good luck on your home project, I hope it goes better than the start to mine!
I do agree that with the right contractor you can do cost plus for less than it would cost you to GC your own. I am a subcontractor and no way I'd wire anything that a HO is builiding for anywhere near what I charge my regular builders. But again you need to hire the right GC and sounds like you have.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

It's a calculated risk for sure and I guess when the project is done I will be able to say whether or not I was able to save myself any money or if I cost myself more.......obviously I am hoping for the saving aspect!

Once I see the invoice for the foundation I will have a better feel for where things stand so far as I know I am already over the amount we alotted, just not sure by how much!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
not familiar with a "slinger truck"

I'm picturing it's something that spreads the gravel
If that's the case... We don't use them in my area, we just tailgate and drive to dump

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190, LTR 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
OK, so after yesterdays fiasco I decided it was a new day and it had to get better........WRONG! Started off at 4am trying to spread the rest of the stone so that the block and slinger trucks could get in today, this was after I removed the tracks from the skidder because I broke a pin last night. Well, I manged to pop both rear wheels off the rim and bury the machine, so the tires are likely trashed now and the skidder is in up to it's belly.

I decided to take a step back from the situation now that it is clear I am overmatched, so the dozer will be arriving sometime this morning to do the job the right way and at the same time I will let him pull out my skidder!

As for actual work that got completed yesterday, well, the despite the mud and circus, the footers are in, footer drains are in and once the dozer gets done the slinger and block trucks should get in.....hopefully.

Well, I have had enough for one day so it is off to my day job!
Hey jk,

Thanks for sharing your project with us. Beautiful piece of land. It's nice to finally see pictures of that driveway

You basically gave yourself the advice I would give. When your plans are derailed (ie broken/stuck machine) it's important to "take a step back". A change in perspective can make a world of difference. It sucks to cancel a trade or delivery at the last minute but sometimes it's the best option. Sometimes it's not, but if you can clear your head and think about the big picture you have a better chance at making the right call.

Keep the updates coming!!

And oh ya... try not to get the dozer stuck....

Name:  Dozer.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  73.5 KB
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
not familiar with a "slinger truck"

I'm picturing it's something that spreads the gravel
If that's the case... We don't use them in my area, we just tailgate and drive to dump
You would be correct, A slinger truck is a truck with a conveyor belt that can be "aimed" to place material in a location. Some are configured like a concrete pumper and others carry the conveyor with them folded along side. Eliminates a lot of labor and mud clean up on the street.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
I have not had any measurable rain at my place since may. Your photos helped me remember what mud looks like. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter McKevin View Post
....When your plans are derailed (ie broken/stuck machine) it's important to "take a step back". A change in perspective can make a world of difference....
Where I am from, this usually is accompanied by some type of alcohol intake.