Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Great advice as always DD. It is funny you mention the gap because I have one in my current house that I am sure has always been there but I just never noticed until we were getting it ready for sale. I thought I had a major problem but now that you mention this it certainly sets my mind at ease and makes sense.
I will be there tomorrow looking at the screw placement and adding as needed, then we are off for a lil needed R-n-R (ridin' and relaxing in the UP for a couple of days)!
Have fun!! This time of year the wife pulls me South to Mexico. Leave next Thursday for a few days!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Have fun!! This time of year the wife pulls me South to Mexico. Leave next Thursday for a few days!
Funny how that works. While you head off to warmer climates and sand beaches, I will head off to find colder climate and deep snow!!! It is always nice to get away for a couple of days and re-charge the batteries for the long-haul ahead!
Have a great trip.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Your progress is great. I have someone building across the street from me and they started pushing dirt around in November. That lot is still a pile of dirt. Hats off to you for getting things done.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am looking to do with the area under the deck. When we were designing it we knew there was no good way to put a truly functional roof over the deck area without sacrificing the look of the front of the house so we planned to make the "in case it rains" gathering place, under the deck area. I have gone back and forth between trex and treated lumber and although the treated comes with maintenance, I have been leaning towards it due to the cost aspect but this trex product may sway me the other way. I am waiting until the project is done before I make my final decision so that I can see where we stand financially, worst case scenario, I will simply add a temp stairway to the 2 doors coming off of the house where the deck would be and I wil hold-off on building it until the funds allow it to be done the right way.

I agree with your statement, all of the work done to this point is literally behind the walls, masked where nobody can see it so now the devil is truly in the details. We are fortunate in that we are in no hurry or on any specific timeline to move in. Our current home is on the market but if it should sell we have options. The things we do next are the things we will see everyday and truly regret if they are not done right!
You know you can use the trex RainEscape under treated decking too. Did you watch the installation video?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
You know you can use the trex RainEscape under treated decking too. Did you watch the installation video?
Dog beat me to it. This stuff can go under any deck. Really cool stuff.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, x45, 2005, 8.1L
Although the trex is more expensive in the long run it pays for itself. You will also not have to worry about splinters walking out with bare feet and the continual movement of the treated wood. I was in the same position you are and ended up finding the extra to use trex and I am glad I did. IMO
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Actually just had a chance to watch it and it really is a simple yet cool way to go. Looks like a really easy install and you can just add a long collection gutter/box at the end to grab all of the water and tie it into the downspout lines which will run out to my pond eventually.

Thanks for the link, I think I have found the answer. When it comes time to build the deck I plan to price it out with both Trex as well as treated and we will see from the where we go. Got a long way to go before I get to that point but I am sure it will go by quickly!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
House is coming along nicely. On a side note, I haven't found any decking including all the composite's out there that I'd want if I were doing another deck. (I'm having a ground level patio with pavers at the house I'm building. One step down to grade. I think if I were building a deck at my dream house, it'd be some sort of concrete and stone with wrought iron rails.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
I would never do anything but composite - Our lake house we finished last year had 2 levels of composite and dock is all composite. At the everyday house - tearing all the decking off my 5 year-old wood deck and replacing it with composite as soon as the weather breaks. Wood decking just plain sucks!

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Actually just had a chance to watch it and it really is a simple yet cool way to go. Looks like a really easy install and you can just add a long collection gutter/box at the end to grab all of the water and tie it into the downspout lines which will run out to my pond eventually.

Thanks for the link, I think I have found the answer. When it comes time to build the deck I plan to price it out with both Trex as well as treated and we will see from the where we go. Got a long way to go before I get to that point but I am sure it will go by quickly!
IF you do use Trex or any other brand of composite, make sure the installer PRE-DRILLS all the screw holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if the directions say 'no pre-drilling necessary', still do it. it will make for a much nicer job!
Around here, a 16' trex board costs around $50. pRETTY COSTLY, BUT WORTH IT.