Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
We built 19 years ago and have a 900' drive. Good luck and hope it all goes well. Lots of decisions to be made over the coming months!

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Congrats. Projects like this are so much work and rewarding.

Enjoy it!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Well....just got home after spending the afternoon at the site and it turned into the day from....well, I will let you fill in the blanks. I chose to do this project on a cost-plus basis since I am planning to do a lot of work myself and have others I know as subs, the bank just would not permit me to act as my own general so I had this was the second best approach.
Since it rained yesterday they were not able to get the concrete trucks close enough to the site to allow the guys to wheelbarrow the concrete, so we had to bring in a pumper trailer, which proceeded to get stuck. Good news is one of the concrete trucks pulled him out but I had to have another 60ton of 1's and 2's brought in to beef up the drive area by the garage so that the block truck would not sufer the same fate. Well, dump truck #1 pulled in and burried himself up to the axle and we spent 2 hours digging him out, snapped 2 of my tow chains before one of the other dump trucks was able to free him. So, I got ack to spreading the new stone with the skidder and manage to snap one the bolts on my tracks rendering it down.

So, tomorrow morning will begin at 5am with me taking the tracks off my skidder and spreading another 40+ ton of stone before the block truck and gravel slinger arrive.

Yeah, today was an expensive day and I can only hope it gets better.....lie to me and tell me it does!!! I will have a few more pics tomorrow.

As for the question regarding the location, it is in Richfield, OH.

Regarding the Meyer V plow, it is the new Meyer Super V2 and is 8.5 feet wide. This is by far the best plow I have ever run from Meyer and I love it. Very easy to work, the hydro's are not as fast as I'd like but it makes up for it in versatility and efficient use. If you have any question about it, just shoot me a pm and I will be happy to help.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
^^it doesn't get better. I always allow for 5% cost overruns. Just wait until window. The good news! It's only money, and you can't take it with you when you die.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
^^it doesn't get better. I always allow for 5% cost overruns. Just wait until window. The good news! It's only money, and you can't take it with you when you die.
Dont worry Jkski. We will throw you such a great house warming party when it's done the 5% won't matter. Mgboyd will give you a special dance and if he needs back up me and Double D got his back.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
I love your view, excellent choice of block to build on. Curious about the pond, is that pumped full of water. Why I ask is it has a very blue look to the water. Had similar problems when extending/renovating our house with wet weather. We had 1.5 inches of rain the day they poored the slab. Have fun
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
I love your view, excellent choice of block to build on. Curious about the pond, is that pumped full of water. Why I ask is it has a very blue look to the water. Had similar problems when extending/renovating our house with wet weather. We had 1.5 inches of rain the day they poored the slab. Have fun
Might be dyed blue to keep weed growth down??

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Yup...always rains at the wrong time....had my foundation guy get his form truck stuck next to the hole...he unloaded it on labor day after 2 inches of rain and we pulled it out....afraid it was going to cave and go in if he didn't

Dumped several extra runs of breaker and still were getting trucks stuck.

Did you geoweb under your driveway??

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Congrats on the new home project. Not to threadjack, but I am in the same spot as you. Foundation goes in this week.

Cost plus is interesting. To build in that manner you have to REALLY trust who you've hired. I would not do that deal. Why wouldn't bank allow you to GC?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Congrats on the new home project. Not to threadjack, but I am in the same spot as you. Foundation goes in this week.

Cost plus is interesting. To build in that manner you have to REALLY trust who you've hired. I would not do that deal. Why wouldn't bank allow you to GC?
You are correct, it is a risky venture if you don't trust the guy you are working with but fortunately I do and the figures he provided me I have bid out myself and can't get it done any cheaper.

The banks in our area (Ohio) are no longer allowing anyone to GC their own home unless they are an approved contractor, which means, among other things, that they do it for a living and have built at least 3 homes in the past year. I could have GC'd it if I wanted to do an End Loan but my name is not Buffet or Gates unfortunately! So, in my scenario I agreed to a cost plus 8% set-up which, in my area, is well below the % that most GC's are charging.

Good luck on your home project, I hope it goes better than the start to mine!