Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Ditto with Jim, when everything is wireless conflicts arise. Streaming Netflix wireless on a TV combined with a wireless x-box, add 4 wireless PC's & 4 wireless phones. Things start to slow down & disconnect. Had to hard wire the X -box, TV may be next.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Great idea on the conduit as others have said. I did that too. Spend the few $$ to pre-wire for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Best thing I did in the last house...put the speakers and distribution in a couple years later and used them constantly. When I built the current one, wasn't even a consideration to not do it. DIY cost is reasonable. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the take off list of speakers, volume controls, distribution boxes, etc I used.

Run extra coax and data everywhere too.

Also, if you're a christmas light guy, outlets under the soffits homerunning to a switch in your entry closet is a good thing to do
Darn good suggestion on the soffit plugs. Wish I had done that! However, is anyone going to able to see it from the road JKSKI?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Darn good suggestion on the soffit plugs. Wish I had done that! However, is anyone going to able to see it from the road JKSKI?
If you put up enough lights...

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
It may be short-sighted but with everything going wireless and no sign of it going backwards, I am not running cable TV or phone service back to the house and have no plans to wire the house for it. My TV will be Dish Network or Direct TV, so obviouslu I will wire accordingly for that and my internet service will be a wireless piggybacked off of my sister-in-laws house. The cost to run cable back to my house was roughly $4k and since my sister-in-law already has it and a friend already has the equipment needed to get a strong signal at my home site, well...we are going to piggyback it. As for phone, I never use nor do I ever answer my home phone, to me it is a complete waste as my cellphone is always with me, so we are going to be a cellphone only house!
My wired phones in the house run off a cell phone signal that is broadcast into the system

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
MC Maniac

Add a sycom lightning arrestor to your breaker panel....

Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, looks like my list just grew! Never really gave any thought to the various wireless signals causing an issue and/or slowing down speeds so better safe than sorry as it is a heck of a lot easier to run some wires now as opposed to later!

As for the Christmas lights, well given the roof peaks I really do not see lights on the gutters as I would need a JLG to accomplish that and while I certainly like the idea of using a one it is not in the Christmas budget! That being said, I wil have multiple outdoor outlets on the house as I know lights will be out there.....but let's face it, I am not in charge of that, I am just the labor!

Well, off to backfill, should have some good pics later.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Add a sycom lightning arrestor to your breaker panel....

Definitely a good idea- even if lightning never strikes, the surges and dips can really shorten appliance/device life. If anyone knows someone who replaces appliances and electronics at an inordinate rate and it's because they fail, not because they want better performance, this is probably why. Also, suppression at the location of sensitive electronics (anything with microprocessors) is needed- the surges may be blocked at the panel but when lightning strikes nearby, it can still cause surges inside the building.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM
MC Master Poster

jski- speaking of lightning, are you using lightning rods?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, looks like my list just grew! Never really gave any thought to the various wireless signals causing an issue and/or slowing down speeds so better safe than sorry as it is a heck of a lot easier to run some wires now as opposed to later!

As for the Christmas lights, well given the roof peaks I really do not see lights on the gutters as I would need a JLG to accomplish that and while I certainly like the idea of using a one it is not in the Christmas budget! That being said, I wil have multiple outdoor outlets on the house as I know lights will be out there.....but let's face it, I am not in charge of that, I am just the labor!

Well, off to backfill, should have some good pics later.
Hope this helps for you. The links I provided were some of the items I installed.

I did about 2000' speaker wire
3000' Cat 6a
2000' of RG6

The Cat 6a vs Cat 6 is a higher capacity wire....but that's about all I know. I do know it can also be used for phone wire. It's just shielded real well.

The RG6 I got should be solid core (like JimN suggested) and also quad shielded.

I ran everything myself and it did take some time and effort. Just get a label maker and label each wire as you go.

If you do run speaker wire, try and keep those from running parallel with one another and also you don't want them parallel with your A/C wire. Just try and keep everything separated if possible. If you do cross, cross at 90 degrees to avoid "cross talk" from wires.

I have a ton of wires but it wasn't too expensive because I did it all myself.

The speaker wires I suggested are also a little thicker than typical installers, and it's also rated for being in walls.

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Now, a completely different subject, water.

Are you doing a well and are you going to treat it? That's where I'm at right now and getting pretty confused on my options. Kinetico, traditional, ???

1994 205, LT1