Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
The weather started off cold this morning but improved to be mid 40's and sun, so the block guys were back at it but down 2 guys, one of which was the other mason, so with only 1 guy setting the block progress was a bit slower today but still good. As of the time I left the site, pretty much the entire back wall was up and the sides were taking shape nicely. The garage and walkout area will be next but the walkout is mostly framed construction so not nearly as much block to lay up.
Grilled up some Brats for the guys and had lunch with them, they are great guys.

Today follies:
Picked the skidder tires up from the repair shop, got them to the site, unloaded and figured out they had mounted one the wrong direction. With directional tread and offset wheels you have to have 2 rights and 2 lefts matching......so it was back to the shop with one wheel so they could flip it, then back to the site to put it on! It just wouldn't be a complete day without at least one thing to laugh about, and that is just what I did, laugh because I should have checked them before leaving the shop the first time around!
that's the best part
Oftentimes the laborers get overlooked....
That's like tipping the tire guy a $20.00 because he gets your free tire rotation done ASAP

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Jeff we had Grouser tracks for our bobcats and got dog-bones, bolts and bushings from LEPPO.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Building code here states that the foundation can not be back filled until the first floor framing is installed. That never happens. Typically it doesn't even get braced. But the excavator needs to be careful. I know of 2 foundations in the past week that have been damaged and needed to be repaired due to carelessness.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I highly recommend first floor framing before backfilling when using block. Its just not strong enough to hold it back with big spans. And I would have them fill the block with concrete and re-bar if its not required in your area. I am a GC in NC and that is the only way I will even consider block. Though we have a really heavy red clay in our area and creates a lot of pressure on the walls.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Jeff we had Grouser tracks for our bobcats and got dog-bones, bolts and bushings from LEPPO.
Never thought of talking to Leppo, thanks for the tip I will check with them today.

Last edited by jkski; 12-07-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Building code here states that the foundation can not be back filled until the first floor framing is installed. That never happens. Typically it doesn't even get braced. But the excavator needs to be careful. I know of 2 foundations in the past week that have been damaged and needed to be repaired due to carelessness.
Code in our area also states that the first floor must be on and truthfully, there is no way I would backfill until that floor is on to tie it all together, even if it wasn't code.
My plan at this point is to have the slinger truck gravel 6' up the back wall while we dump in the side walls keeping pace, then put fabric over the top and grade the dirt level in accordingly.
As always, suggestions and tips are appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Don't know how to advise w block. In a poured foundation we do 2 coats of waterproof coating. The drain tile has a fabric sock. We do 2 ft of gravel and then back fill.

I also put 2" of foam board on all exterior foundation walls and 1" and poly barrier under the floor. My basement is dry and warm.

Had energy star model it and crunched several insulation options to get best bang for my buck!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
If you need fabric to lay over the footer drain, PS Construction fabrics (or something like that) in Rittman has or had the best prices. I have not been doing the underground stuff since '06. 57south to eastern rd (east), north on Pifer. usually it is 12 or 16' widths.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
MC Devotee

12/8/12 Update: Basement is starting to look like a basement!

The progress continues and despite the rough start to the week and the wet weather, things have really taken shape.
They are calling for rain the next 3 days so I doubt anything new will take place until Tuesday or Wednesday but they are saying they will be done laying block by the end of next week.....weather permitting of course.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
ya know...
you could make that mote all the way around the house and then.......

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine