Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-01-2017, 02:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Removing Decal Shadow

So I tried using 3M finesse it but there is still some shadow. I am trying to figure out what to try next. I don't really want to wet sand. Do I try a marine rubbing compound next?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-01-2017, 02:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Wet sand is the only option imo. I had shadowing on a white boat and wet sand made it better but still noticeable. I put similar decals back in the same places so the shadow was camouflaged.
Time in the sun/uv light should help.
Otherwise idk.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-01-2017, 03:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Wet sand is the only option imo. I had shadowing on a white boat and wet sand made it better but still noticeable. I put similar decals back in the same places so the shadow was camouflaged.
Time in the sun/uv light should help.
Otherwise idk.
Same experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 04-01-2017, 04:59 PM
TT Regular

Would you guys suggest I do 1000 grit followed by 3m compound and then finesse it?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrower190 View Post
Would you guys suggest I do 1000 grit followed by 3m compound and then finesse it?
I'd try 3M Super with a lamb's wool pad first. I rotate 3 pads with Super...as it will gum up on a pad quicker than Finesse. If you want the wool pads to dry quickly, wash with Dawn soap then put the pad back on the wheel and spin the water out at higher RPM (placed down just inside of the wash bucket). Otherwise they dry very slowly.

If that (3M) doesn't penetrate, then move to 1500. If 1500 does not cut it, move to 1000, then 3M, then finesse II then wax. Use wet paper and a sanding block. Use your best judgment and do not get too wrapped up with going deep. I have seen worse results with deeper cuts, than what I would have been willing to live with to begin with.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 04-01-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:39 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the info guys!

So I wet sanded with 1000 grit followed by 1500 grit perpendicular to each other. I them 3m super'Ed and then finesse it. Now I have some small scratches. I am guessing my problem is what I am using to polish.

Can anybody suggest what sort of polisher and pads I should get if I go to harbor freight?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys!

So I wet sanded with 1000 grit followed by 1500 grit perpendicular to each other. I them 3m super'Ed and then finesse it. Now I have some small scratches. I am guessing my problem is what I am using to polish.

Can anybody suggest what sort of polisher and pads I should get if I go to harbor freight?
For HF selection, anything dual action / random orbital / variable speed.

There are better and more expensive, bigger, better, etc. but ==> this <== is what I found when browsing HF.

Read around ==> here <== and see what you think. The Dewalt is good, Porter Cable 7424 is a decent dual action random, and there are others...
Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
TT Regular

Waterlogged, thanks! I definitely don't want to make my situation worse. I have never had to do this before so I appreciate your advice.

So I am thinking about going with harbor freight. Should I look for lambs wool pads there then too (for the 3m super)? What pad should I use with finesse it?

I believe the bottle says but what speed should I go at?

I was using a craftsman 6" random orbit buffer. Probably my problem.

As for application, I have been putting it on the wool bonnet and then smear it around a small area on the boat and then start buffing...going left to right and up and down. My question is, how do I know when to stop? How often should I clean the pad?

As you can tell I am a rookie but I would love to learn (and fix my mistakes).

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Waterlogged, thanks! I definitely don't want to make my situation worse. I have never had to do this before so I appreciate your advice.

So I am thinking about going with harbor freight. Should I look for lambs wool pads there then too (for the 3m super)? What pad should I use with finesse it?

I believe the bottle says but what speed should I go at?

I was using a craftsman 6" random orbit buffer. Probably my problem.

As for application, I have been putting it on the wool bonnet and then smear it around a small area on the boat and then start buffing...going left to right and up and down. My question is, how do I know when to stop? How often should I clean the pad?

As you can tell I am a rookie but I would love to learn (and fix my mistakes).

Thank you!
I doubt HF has the 3M. That is a higher end product, of which HF is not noted.... They may or may not have the wool pads (I doubt it).

Read around on Auto Geeks site and see what will fit your needs (per se').

I'd use a pink or yellow foam pad with the Finesse IT II.

Start ==> here <== with further knowledge. You're getting there. This guy is one of the pioneers here of polishing and buffing.

I use a spray bottle to dampen the wool pad (not wet) as I put more compound on it. When it gums, I use a 2" putty knife to scrape it down (fluff up the wool) half dozen times or more (until it becomes cake beyond fluffing), then I use a bucket, Dawn, and wash the pad in the bucket, put it back on the polisher and spin it to near dry (inside of the top of the bucket). That is where I use multiple pads to keep working.

When to stop? ==> ??? When you are happy with the results or when you feel you have reached a point of diminishing return (no more value).

I'd also be aware of not hammering on one spot or area too hard to keep from generating too much heat on the gel. Use your judgement and that is part of the benefit of random orbital. Also use a slow speed and let the compound work. No need to run much over 1,000 - 1,500 RPM on most units. It makes for slow going but that is the best practice from my experiences.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I think i saw buffing pads in ours one day but don't hold me to it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1