Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Shop Tools Thread

I'm considering buying a tool kit from Home Depot or Lowes.

I'm looking to get a drill, combo kit.

Drill
Impact gun
Sawsall
Circular saw
Light
Etc

Here is my question. What brand do I buy. Dewalt, makita, ryobi, Milwaukee, rigid, etc?

Dewalt and makita have good tools but not as many to choose from. Ryobi has lots of tools and lots of tools that run off of the same batteries like not just a light but a spotlight, portable vacuum, inflator blow up tool, portable grinder, sawsall, drills, impact guns, etc.

I use Snap-On hand tools so keep that in mind. Not trying to be hoity toity I just like high end tools. I used to be a service tech and know that I don't want cheap tools or harbor freight crap.

My porter cable drill needs replacement and I'm more interested in buying a combo kit now. The porter cable lasted 12 years. The drill still works great but the batteries need replacement. I am going to check on the replacement batteries to see cost or even if they are even available for replacement. If they are $75 each and I would want 2 of them, then I would probably buy a kit.

I'm looking for a good tool, not the cheapest, just a real good all around tool that will last.

Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 12-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I'll be interested in this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
If you want to go high-end, then Milwaukee is your brand from what I have heard. I hear only good reviews of the M12 and M18 line of tools and there are more choices (check out Amazon.com) that I could have imagined. They are definitely pro-grade. Plus, I think they are doing some promo stuff (free extra battery) at Home Depot now. Plus, they are made in USA from what I understand.

That being said, I have an old 18v Dewalt drill/driver that has lasted me 15 years with only a battery upgrade. It is a workhorse, but it is heavy. I still consider them pro-grade, but I think the newer Dewalt stuff may be coming in from offshore.

I also recently bought a Hitachi 12 volt drill/driver from Lowes for something like $65. I expected nothing, knew it was from off shore, but needed something right then as I was out of town. It has been much better than expected. Although it is not quite as beefy as the 18v Dewalt, it more than holds it's own for a $60 drill/driver.

BTW, you can check out the Garage Journal forum (www.garagejournal.com) for more info on all of these. There are tons of discussions of everything tool related over there.

This is coming from someone who has a roll cab of Snap-On tools as well. I can appreciate the quality.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
This is where it's at I've had them all. I run higher end makita cordless drills and brushless impact driver but there's no need to go there. This is all you need and a free multi tool!
http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.c...ess-combo-kits
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
I've had the Rigid combo set for a few years now and they are about bullet proof, and you cant beat their warranty. My cousin had given me an old beat up rigid drill that needed to be repaired and Rigid took care of it no issue.

The one thing that sucks about the rigid set is the crappy carry bag they give you.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
That reminds me, even the Makita bag is the best!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
I love my makitas, one battery 18v lxt lithium ion does it all, drill, flashlight, 3/8" impact, underhood shop light.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I have about ever 18 volt tool Dewalt makes and have not had any issues. That said, if I had the funds, Milwaukee would be my choice.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I'm really liking the Makita kit that was posted up.

I don't mind the brushless or brushed kits. The price point is not really that much.

So it looks like the makita over the dewalt.

I'm sure Milwaukee is real nice but I'm interested in more than a couple of tools. Milwaukee just is not as big on the types of tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: PS209
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
This is where it's at I've had them all. I run higher end makita cordless drills and brushless impact driver but there's no need to go there. This is all you need and a free multi tool!
http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.c...ess-combo-kits
Ditto on this. The little impact driver in that kit is one of the handiest tools I have. You can drive a deck screw right through a stud like it was made of cheese. Make sure you get the kit with the big batteries as some of the kits may seem cheaper but have the smaller batteries. The cheaper kits may also have the lighter duty hammer drill. I did burn one of those out when I was augering 1/2" holes through multiple landscape ties and accidentally had my hand mashed over the cooling vents. I ran it obliviously, grinding through them until the drill actually caught on fire. Lots of power in those tools. No problems with warranty.