Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
http://www.ehow.com/facts_8068798_si...ne.html#page=0

I double flared my SS brake line and it never has leaked. I also bent and flared all fittings.

Single flare is rarely used in brake line.

Jeff make sure that the mating surfaces are the same angles and fit nice. Not kinda nice or close enough.
Kyle, so you have actually worked with stainless steel then, huh? Was there any issue with the ends splitting? Through my research it sounded like the SS was more brittle and could crack with a double flaring tool in the field.

Could there be a difference in the Tee fittings for the SS vs. standard? Or would the tee be compatible for both??

Kyle, what tool did you use for flaring?

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
The angles have to be the same.

"Factory" flaring is hog wash.

It looks like you have way too much SS anyway.

Personally I would go rent a flare tool from the parts store. Then cut all SS lines with a tubing cutter and flare it to the mating end of the flexible line. It doesn't matter what angle you use as long as they are the same.

When I double flared mine it was the first time ever flaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
MC Maniac

The SS will break or crack if you try to over flare it and any line would do that.

It was easy and very fast. I rented the tool from auto zone or orielly's

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
MC Devotee

OK, thanks Kyle. I'll check out O'Reilys and get a flaring tool. I'll inspect first but plan to just re-flare everything. I did re-do the line going from the front axle to the rear axle. That was my first tube that I bent and thought zig-zags would look the best.....I don't think so now.

It looks a lot more clean now.

Appreciate the help Kyle and so sorry I can't trade you. You are a very patient man and finding that double axle is just that, patience!!

On another note, we were in Dallas a few weeks ago and visited TCU for my daughter in Ft Worth.....my wife wants to move there! She's so tired of this cold, windy weather! And I will say, nice little town you got there....

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
OK, thanks Kyle. I'll check out O'Reilys and get a flaring tool. I'll inspect first but plan to just re-flare everything. I did re-do the line going from the front axle to the rear axle. That was my first tube that I bent and thought zig-zags would look the best.....I don't think so now.

It looks a lot more clean now.

Appreciate the help Kyle and so sorry I can't trade you. You are a very patient man and finding that double axle is just that, patience!!

On another note, we were in Dallas a few weeks ago and visited TCU for my daughter in Ft Worth.....my wife wants to move there! She's so tired of this cold, windy weather! And I will say, nice little town you got there....

It is a nice town. I live 7 min from TCU. My sisters went to TCU as well as my bro n law. We go to every home football game and have tail gate spots.

Fort Worth is a great town.

If you guys move down let me know.

Rat, Tex, taymc197, phntmski, jd6, travisx9, and a few others ski with me. Check out Metroplexskiclub.com it's super cheap like $180 for the year for single and its slightly more for a family but we have a course and a very cool family of skiers.

There are also a few public lakes around that we hit up. I can assure you that finding a ski ride will be easy.

Even if you don't move down and are back on the area we can still go tear up a course.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
The tube bender worked "pretty good" but found that just doing it by hand also works well. Definitely a learning process....

OK, I was watching Stacy David's video installing some disc brakes on on old, C10 Chevy truck. One thing he mentioned was that the caliper needs to move and hence, he installed a rubber hose.

My question, do I need a "second" rubber hose from the tee to the caliper to allow for float??

Or is this hard line acceptable? I know the axle moves up and down so that hose is obviously OK, but I'm wondering if I need another one for each caliper too.

I'm getting some flaring tools and will try and re-do some of the ends. Hopefully that will fix the leaks! 68 degrees today......finally!!

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
MC Devotee

Well, fortunately I remembered my friend has a 2000 205 with dual axle disc brake system so I swung buy to look at his trailer. After review, I'm OK with my routing so that was a relief.

I'll post the pics up once they upload.....

Edit: Here is his trailer from the factory

1994 205, LT1

Last edited by Ski-me; 04-29-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

So I decided to re-flare all the lines. Pretty simple really.

The one on the left is the SS one I received, the one on the right, one of my re-flared ends.

Cut off the end with a typical copper tubing cutter from Home Depot

It leaves a little rough end so need to clean it up

And then flare the end:

Completed flare:

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
MC Devotee

Now, after all that fun I look at the fittings, tees, etc and notice why they were leaking. When I first ran the SS lines, I think the flaring angles are different. So, when they leaked I tightened them up. I think I cranked them down so much, it ended up crushing the bevel inside the fittings...again, because I think the fittings were different angles, or at least different ends.

The one on the right is the crushed one, the left is an undamaged one.

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM
MC Devotee

So after all that fun, I decided to just re-do it all.....what the heck!

I ran to Autozone and got brand new coated lines with equal lengths now for each axle. All new fittings and tees and re-did everything. I just want to eliminate any unknowns and for $28 in new lines with the "correct" ends, it was worth it.

I am still waiting for the 4 fittings that go onto the caliper but everything else is done and I will say, it looks a lot better too. Once I get the caliper fittings, I'll post the final shots and hopefully, nothing will leak!

Man what an ordeal!!

1994 205, LT1