Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '05 Prostar 197 & Prostar 205 (Grew up on)
PS 197- Spare Tire Mount

Has anyone had multiple issues with their welded spare tire mount?

I saw some activity on the forum from years ago but I am surprised I don't see more as I have had an issue twice now since I purchased last February. My 197 has a standard OEM tire mounted and all I can figure is it is getting too much vibration from the backroads/2500 heavy suspension to get to the local lake/s. I have been towing a lot over the last two years and have now had a weld issue in the same area pop up again. I had the whole mount, especially the top section of the mount, reinforced and rewelded by a local professional. He used extra steel on the top angle support to keep it from attempting to pull the top weld away from the frame. I noticed a few days ago that my bottom weld has now cracked and separated again. Structurally it is still ok because the top and sides are still intact but I am surprised it broke the bottom weld this time and am nervous it will just vibrate and start separating the side welds too. Do I run any risk rewelding this piece multiple times? I don't see any signs that the trailer tube is cracked as I shine a light at the crack no light goes into the main trailer structure. Seems like a terrible design flaw.

97 prostar 205 (childhood & current parents boat)

Richmond, VA & Lake Gaston
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
I've seen other issues with my prostar trailer but not the spare tire mount. All in all it is a great trailer however. I wouldn't hesitate to weld up that crack and touch up paint it. I'm guessing someone didn't have the MIG gun set high enough when they welded it on at the factory.

"America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Are your trailer tires balanced? Vibration could be coming from them.

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $249 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbacuse77 View Post
All in all it is a great trailer however.

I mean, I guess its OK since it keeps the 197 on it. Other than that, the whole launching and retrieving thing kinda blows
Old 06-21-2017, 03:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbacuse77 View Post
I've seen other issues with my prostar trailer but not the spare tire mount. All in all it is a great trailer however. I wouldn't hesitate to weld up that crack and touch up paint it. I'm guessing someone didn't have the MIG gun set high enough when they welded it on at the factory.
Or welded over a painted or unclean surface....

I'd just as soon run a 7018 stick across tube or structural......

John 3:16-18
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '05 Prostar 197 & Prostar 205 (Grew up on)
Appreciate the advice. I tow with a 2500 and the two lane roads get a little rough so I wonder if it just gets beat up from vibration and an awkward weld point. That combined with the possibility of a poor/paint under weld repair. I also had to get the brackets for the guide poles touched up after a long trip to Florida and back.

The ramp is shallow which works for the 197 but I look like an idiot because I have to back the truck way in the water to get the bow over the boat buddy (I walk-on 95% time)

97 prostar 205 (childhood & current parents boat)

Richmond, VA & Lake Gaston
Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiLKG View Post
Appreciate the advice. I tow with a 2500 and the two lane roads get a little rough so I wonder if it just gets beat up from vibration and an awkward weld point. That combined with the possibility of a poor/paint under weld repair. I also had to get the brackets for the guide poles touched up after a long trip to Florida and back.

The ramp is shallow which works for the 197 but I look like an idiot because I have to back the truck way in the water to get the bow over the boat buddy (I walk-on 95% time)
To your point of weld joint configuration, if the base metal is tube with a radius and the mounting base is flat, that will give you one of the best weld joints you could ask for.... a flare bevel groove weld joint (then cap it with a fillet weld).

A dirty welding surface is sure doomed for failure. I have seen it more than once. These guys paint the pieces then weld over the paint thinking to arc will burn through the paint, etc. Doesn't work that way and most welders know the difference but are pressed for production or lack a fitter for do the joint prep. or whatever reason (maybe close to lunch ) There are welders, then there are welders....I've seen some of the best, and some of the worst.

You may be correct in your analysis and suspicions so don't take my assessment as the Gospel but I have seen a few welds in my time. If you find out something different, let me know. I am always open to new things to learn and hear back.

Best luck...

PS: You could be dropping the trailer in too deep. The deeper it goes the more the rear floats and the lower the eye bolt in the bow goes. I load a 190 at about this depth and a fairly shallow sloping ramp. Your mileage may vary.

Attached Images

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Tags
trailer spare tire weld