Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Dash speakers in my 190

So I had to buy non marine 5 1/4 speakers for my dash install years ago. Now they are bad after 5 years of beating on them. I was cheap at the time and bought the TR 525 coax speakers that run on 50w rms max and I had 75w rms running to them and over time the voice coils just got tired.

I'm going to put in the C3 525 with the x overs and that should help out a lot. They are 75w rms and I'll be able to turn up the gain to match with the 7.7's that I have everywhere else.

Ok so I have the boat apart and wanted to share pics. Since I will be ordering them the boat will be apart for a few weeks but it will be worth it

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353814187.271740.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353814563.067726.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  67.1 KB

So I tried to just slide up the glass like I did before and then remove and install the new ones. Well I didn't want to leave the glass 1/2 way out so I slid it back down and the window seal slid down too. Therefore I had to remove the side glass and the front glass and install the rubber seal on all sides by hand. That was a total Pima but it had to be done because I was not willing to tear the seal or worse break the glass. Now the front glass is back in the frame and in a very safe spot and the side glass is off sitting next to the front glass. Both glass pieces are in their frames and I'm waiting on the speakers.

I will install the speakers then the front glass in the frame and have someone hold it in place while I tighten it down and finish by installing the driver glass.

Yes it's a little more work than expected but it will be well worth it.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353814523.571816.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  76.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353814537.820497.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  44.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 11-24-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM
MC Maniac

I have not ordered the c3's yet so if anyone has a better option for a JL 5 1/4 speaker please let me know

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
That's a cool mod! I have a '90 Tristar 190 and have considered adding speakers in the corners as well, but wasn't sure how to do it. Definitely looks like a PITA. So, obviously the sound quality improvement made it well worth it? I was originally thinking like 4 1/2's, but you went with the bigger speakers.....
Old 11-25-2012, 02:23 AM
MC Maniac

It's well worth it.

Otherwise I'd leave 2 non working speakers in the dash and say eff it.

Last edited by Kyle; 11-25-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
IMO, dash speakers that shoot up and reflect off the windshield are the in one of the worst locations. The proximity to the driver can make them dominant and reflection off the windshield can put them out of phase with the rest of the speakers. For those that already have them, the best solution is to wire the speakers to their amp chnls and gain them down. For those without dash speaker holes, I would look for a better location for the an additional pair if you feel the sound stage by the helm is lacking.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kyle; 11-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Pretty simple recommendation that did not deserve a response like that regardless of MLA being right or wrong...
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM
MC Maniac

MI

Where else do you put speakers in a 190. In the side rails behind the driver so when you are driving down the lake all you hear is bass from the bow and wind noise but no words?

It's a 190 not a wake boat or pontoon

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
The dash is a fine place for speakers to go on the 190 if they are tuned right, but slamming the guy like you did was uncalled for IMO.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
The dash is a fine place for speakers to go on the 190 if they are tuned right, but slamming the guy like you did was uncalled for IMO.
Your prolly right.... Better?

Quote:
Quote: