Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I have plenty of Snap-on, ingersoll-rand, Miller tools etc etc but I still have plenty of things from harbor freight that work great. Just have to be picky about what you buy there.

I keep all my nice tools in the garage and crap Chinese stuff in my truck toolbox so that when they get stolen I don't lose any sleep.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I bought a HF grinder in college..........its still in the garage and use it constantly. Best 5 bucks I ever spent lol. For clamps and cheap crap its the place to go. other than that yea a ton of crap
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
pleased as can be with my 7" Electronic Polisher/Sander with Digital RPM Display
granted, I'm not trying to make a living with it

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...her-66615.html

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
pleased as can be with my 7" Electronic Polisher/Sander with Digital RPM Display
granted, I'm not trying to make a living with it

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...her-66615.html
I have the one without the display and it works quite well. Agreed, I would use something better if it was putting food on the table.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I keep all my nice tools in the garage and crap Chinese stuff in my truck toolbox so that when they get stolen I don't lose any sleep.

Thats precisely what I do. They work when I need em. Too bad my truck never gets robbed and my shop seems to get thin on its own.
Policy again not creating results.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Had family out to help frame a basement a few years back and needed a compressor to power 3 framing nailers. Spent $75 for a 20 gallon upright at HF and it's still going strong. I'm still surprised every time it fires up.
Same here. My compressor has been going strong for probably 5 years. Use it all the time to run air drills, blow stuff up, impact drivers and air saws. That thing has provided the air for several dock projects as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have only bought a few tools at HF, but no complaints. Careful shopping can go a long way as long as you don't have any thoughts that great tools come from there.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: None
Like many others have said, I wouldn't want to outfit my whole garage with Harbor Freight tools but from reading on other forums and my own experiences, two items really stand out for quality/$.

In no particular order.

1. Impact sockets metric or SAE.
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piec...set-67903.html

2. The US General Pro Toolboxes.
http://www.harborfreight.com/roller-...ity-69387.html

I won't be buying my open end wrenches there anytime soon, but sometimes brand name tools are just way to inflated to justify.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
My tools are hand-me-downs and things I've purchased, everything from auto-parts store brands, Snap-On, MAC, Craftsman and HF. HF is absolutely the crappiest, but sometimes a crappy tool works just fine.

Things I've bought from HF which are decent:
in-line spark tester, orbital sander (smoked like crazy at one point, but kept working), Fein-like multi tool, digital photo sensor tachometer, nitrile gloves, aluminum jack, big-*** crescent wrench.

Things I've bought from HF that sucked:
radiator hose clamps, assorted box of ss screws, allen wrench sets, compressor, the worst screw drivers ever, blades of any type, pliers, cutting tools.

Every time I'm in there, the place is busy.

Interestingly our local Sears is closing. It's been here since the 40's I think. Not saying Sears is the best run retailer in the country, but stores like Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Home Depot, Lowe's and Tractor Supply seem to have hurt them here - at least in the department I always shopped in, which was tools and lawn/garden.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Lol love the rant.

I bought 2 $50 dollar winches there and 80 bucks worth of chain. That almost $200 of cheap hardware pulled my truck out of a hole that was going to cost me $600 plus... Yes the winches failed after I used them that one time but considering the work they did, they deserved to die. The chain still holds strong. lol

Like others said, I don't buy my everyday handtools there, I'll buy the cheap stuff that doesn't have any working components like pry bars, grease guns, grease, tool magnets, etc... wrenches and everything like are bought from Sears... Sears has never failed me when i have broke a tool, they exchange it and I'm on my way... They truly are one of the good ol' stores for tools. highly underrated in my opinion.