Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
No cylinder selection switch on Teleflex tachometer

The presumably original Teleflex tachometer on my 94 PS 190 started behaving erratically. In the course of researching solutions, I came across here and on the manufacturer website the possibility of a film buildup on a cylinder selection switch on the back of the tach causing such a problem. The suggestion given was to turn the switch back and forth to clear the film.

I couldn't do this because, when I examined the back of the tach, there was a labeled hole for the switch but no switch in it. I did tighten a loose wire on the sender post on the back of the tach, apparently restoring normal function of the tach.

A phone call to Seastar Solutions (formerly Teleflex Marine) confirmed my suspicion that they made some tachometers for manufacturers for certain boats with the tachometer hard wired for a fixed number of cylinders and no cylinder selection switch in the hole for the switch.

So, FYI, if your tach is acting up and you don't see a cylinder selection switch in the hole, that isn't necessarily the cause of the problem. The tach may have been manufactured without the switch by design.
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1

Last edited by lake weir skier; 09-02-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Spelling