Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Airstreams

I am sure this would be a better question for an Airstream fourm, but I have found the people on here extremely helpful and knowledgeable on anything and everything posted here, so I will give it a shot.

I am wondering if any of you on this board have or have been in a modern Airstream...My father-in-law is retiring next year and is planning on getting a new or nearly new one to play with and travel around the country.

We are looking at a 22 foot Sport version and a 23 foot Flying Cloud version right now. We both have owned travel trailers and small motor homes over the years, but this is our first look at Airstreams. There is not many things cooler than seeing an aluminum piece of Americana going down the road any time you catch a glimpse of one on the highway!

There should never be more than 4 people at any time sleeping in it so we are thinking the 22 to 23 foot size should be just about right (maybe?). Another thing to keep in mind is that It will be towed with either a Tdi Touareg or a Lexus LX570, not an F-5000 or Duramax Super Mega Crew.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I have a friend with a slightly larger one, maybe 25-26 foot and they really enjoy it. They tow with a 2 wheel drive F-150 4 door pickup without any issues, so I would think the TDI or Lexus should be fine with proper trailer braking system installed. They own several places that are set up with hook ups that they merely pull into and unhook for a long weekend. They figured they could get more bang for their buck by having a quality travel trailer and 3 or 4 set ups around the state of TX for variety instead of buying one condo/house for similar money. Most of the time it is only 2 of them but occassionally they are joined by another couple or one of their kids with their spouse. My dad always wanted one but never could justify the cost with as little use as it would have gotten.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Never been in one, but I know a few owners (one is president of the local club) who love them.

A coworker told me about a place in Vegas that rents them out as hotel rooms if you want to spend the night in one to try it out. Or, you could try these guys to try before you buy: http://airstream2go.com/

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Never been in one, but I know a few owners (one is president of the local club) who love them.

A coworker told me about a place in Vegas that rents them out as hotel rooms if you want to spend the night in one to try it out. Or, you could try these guys to try before you buy: http://airstream2go.com/
Hey, that is cool! Thanks for the link. As long as they don't charge a small fortune plus my first child we may try that out. I appreciate the feedback so far. Hopefully someone on here owns one and can tell me what to look for in a used one.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Airstream 2 Go is a lage fortune.
http://airstream2go.com/press/airstr...-rv-experience
Prices are through the roof. $5,300-7,500 a week!

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
You mentioned 7000 lbs. towing capacity for the Lexus. This is only one aspect you should look at. You need to look at the curb weight, gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr), payload capacity, hitch weight rating, and gross combined weight rating.

Gvwr includes curb weight, passengers, cargo, fuel, etc.

Gcwr includes all of the gvwr AND total towing. Gvwr and the total combined camper weight cannot exceed gcwr! I like to take 10% off the gcwr as a safety factor.

I could not quickly come up with a gcwr for the lexus, but the combined weight of the FC23 was about 6000lbs. Under the 7000 lb. towing capacity, but in the end how does this affect the gcwr?

Also, look at your hitch weight rating on the Lexus. Check that against the tongue weight of the camper. Tongue weight of the camper should not exceed hitch weight. Additional weight puts stress on tires, drivetrain, etc.

Never trust a car salesman when they say that the vehicle will "tow" the trailer. If all they are doing is spouting out is a 7000 lb. towing capacity, you need to be looking somewhere else. Run all the numbers above. Factor in a 10% safety factor and then you will know you can tow the trailer and be LEGAL when doing it. Exceeding the towing capacity and gcwr is a liability for you. If you are in an accident, and you have exceeded the gcwr (or towing capacity) your insurance most likely will not cover the claim. Something to think about....

Numberswise I think your ok, but you need to double check all the above before purchase of the camper and/or SUV.