Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
I am..
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Black Prostar 197 / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Depending on the overall condition, I don't believe the price is out of line. With new interior and a tower, if it's in great shape I think that is reasonable...or at least where I would expect. $25k is lowball, in my opinion, unless the upholstery was redone because of abuse and the boat has dings all over it.

FWIW, my 2003 TT 197 was well taken care of and we never had one issue with the upholstery. No cracks, stains, or thread tears. Just sold mine with about 400 hours on it. It's all in how you take car of things.

Assuming the boat runs smoothly and the condition is very clean, the only issue I see is lack of a speed control. That is one of those items that is very nice to have, but is pricey to add later. And once you've had speed control, you won't want to do without it.

Also consider the 2004 is on the same hull running through the 2013 models, which will sell new for $50k +. So suddenly $29k really doesn't sound that bad if it is well maintained and runs strong.

In short, the boat is worth what a willing buyer and seller agree upon.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
Wow - thanks for all of the quick replies.

If you had your choice of getting the mcx engine or the powerslot transmission, which would you prefer? The boat I am considering has the mcx with the 1:1 tranny. Is it worth it to find the powerslot?

We will be doing a lot of dock skiing. We are right on the lake, but it does get windy on our side, so we head a mile across the lake to a course when needed. Our lake can get some big rollers during the day. How will a 197 handle that type of water?

I guess my biggest concerns are getting something too small that will have a tough time in rough waters and a boat that my kids grow out of in 3-4 years. I guess that wouldn't be that big of a deal if I picked up a 197 and used it for that time and then looked into a x14 in 4 years. I can't swing $40 K right now for a X14.

This might be barking up the wrong tree, so please don't ban me yet......one of my hardcore MC friends said something to me about a Malibu Sunsetter lxi. He said the ski wake was nice and a big family boat, but the fit and finish of Malibu is not up to par with MC. Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 WTT ProStar 197
The 197 is a great boat 03 to present. We have two 03s at our lake. One gets pampered, the other gets abused. Both are excellent boats.

Last edited by Sullivan; 11-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
A question that you had in your original post... MC DOES STOP making seat covers for the old boats. I am not so sure it there is a time limit or it is just up when they stop making that boat/seat size and style anymore. Almost all re-covers are done aftermarket. It is rare that you find a re-cover with factory skins. They are out there, but hard to find. So no real worries that the boat has non-factory skins.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
If big water is a concern you might want to rethink the 197. It is really not a boat for big water. It is easy to put water over the bow if you are not paying attention. It's a true 'ski boat' in that it does best on smaller lakes without huge rollers or chop.
What about a 209? I have never skied one but it would be better in the rough and offer more space and wake potential. It's not going to have nearly as good of a ski wake but you have to figure out what is a priority for you and the family.

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 1@35off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The MCX with the 1:1 will be fine. If you find a boat with the Predator and the 1.52:1, that would be a great combo, too. If I had to choose, I think I would take the Predator with the Powerslot. But if it were me, I wouldn't pass up a good MCX with a 1:1 if the opportunity presented itself.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
While some of my fellow posters are correct about the roominess of a 197 vs. some of the other options, I still think given your situation the 197 merits serious consideration. With a family as young as yours a 197 will still be fine for a few years. The $10k you save now will mean a lot down the road when you might want to upgrade.

Looking at it from another perspective, having the experience of owning and skiing behind a 197 is worth its weight in gold. It is a purist's ski boat with only a handful of equals. It really does spoil you for anything else in terms of wake and handling and makes you truly appreciate what a great heritage and foundation the whole MC line is based on.