Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Man, I think you will need a folding platform to fit it in the garage at an angle.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Man, I think you will need a folding platform to fit it in the garage at an angle.
It'll definatly fit in a standard garage.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
To all the people that think that go fasts are for d-bags have never gone 100+ on the water...

Kyle,

If I were you I would steer clear of the 32' and the single step boats. The 32 has an extremely low transom that makes it interesting in following sea conditions, and the single step brings some of the problems of a step boat with fewer of the benefits you get from a twin step boat.

What ever you choose I would try and stay with Merc power for the obvious ease of maintenance and availability of parts.

If you have an questions feel free to drop me a line I currently work for Skater Powerboats and our main dealer, Blume Loe, who is based in Tx. always has plenty of inventory.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Power boats aren't my thing, but I have buddy with a 27' Fountain Fever and blown 502. Cruising at a mild 75 across the lake felt slower than my slalom speed behind the MC. If its something you want to do, go for it. They would like to step up to a 32', so they might cut you a deal, haha.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
I recently sold my Fountain 27, and really miss it. It wasn't the fastest boat on the water, but plenty fast for me, at 75+. Personally, I think that's fast enough for a 27. My dream boat would be a 35 with large N/A motors- no blowers for me. I had a 555 N/A in the 27, which would probably have been good for about 85 with a Merc drive, but mine was a Volvo Duoprop- better drive, but a bit slower. If you're making big power with a blower, you're looking at 100 hour overhauls. The smaller factory SC packages will go much more, of course.

The feeling of standing in the bolster at WOT is like nothing else. That's what I miss the most, but just cruising at 40-50 and crushing the waves is something to be experienced also. IMO, there is no boat out there with the feel and performance of a Fountain. It's got nothing to do with showing off or impressing anybody. I could drive my Fountain for hours on an empty lake, and smile the whole time. If you haven't owned one, you wouldn't understand.

If you can justify it, buy one. I sure hope to own another some day.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '07 X-STAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I think the 525's are a blown 454 running 5# of boost.

I'm thinking the 502's with prochargers or whipples would be just fine. Run 5-7# boost change from 1.5 to 1.36 b1 or XR drives and some lab props and I should have an efficient 90+ boat.

I mainly want a reliable boat not necessarily the fastest. Fast means maintenance and lots of $$$$$$.

I'm planning on speaking to a friend with a 35 about how hard maintenance is with standard side by sides. I'm sure there is just tons of room and everything is accessible. Lol

Main purpose is to have a hot rod. I'm no way responsible enough to have a sports car. My ex has a 2012 camaro SS and I drove it over 150. I used to have a ws6 and I had it 180+.

I want a safe toy and a car will not be safe for me. The same goes for a street bike. Have been well over 130 on a Ducati and don't know when I shut it down. I quit watching speedo at 130 and my bike experience is let's say non existent. Rode a few dirt bikes then rode a friends Honda cruiser for a few times and tried a Ducati out because it seemed cool.

A cool boat that runs 90 will be fun and keep me alive. My fear is like I mentioned above. Will it become ghey after about 2 trips out like a jet ski would. Fast for a while and then sitting there doing nothing doesn't seem like loads of fun after a while.
Exactly, you have it figured out. I want to be running and having fun and not blowing engines. I figured if I had a 35 that would do 100+, then I could run 80 all day and not be too hard in the engines. 80 is plenty fast cruising with burst of 100+ when conditions allow it. Problem is it would be hard to find a staggered boat for double your 55k number. If you need any help looking a know a guy who owns a dealer here in Austin. I think the you can make a deal right now with the lake being low. My girl friend and I are boat junkies. You will find us in the mastercraft boarding or surfing or on the coast fishing for reds. I hope to get a 35 in the future. Here are a couple pictures from the outlaw challenge we hosted at one or our developments in Galveston. Many of these boats were featured at the Miami boat show last year. The MTI cats in the photos (the black corvette and the phantom are owned by car guys and the prices were around $1.7M. It was a great event and really nice people just out to have a good time.
Attached Images

Last edited by HMF007; 11-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Having to upload individually
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

couple more.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
looks like fun... better hurry 12-21 comin' soon. As for river rat you could start ski racing...
We have a guy in our club that used to be a ski racer... lol

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-30
For what its worth, we currently have a 2012 X30 and a '94 Formula 336 with twin 502s that my father-in-law bought brand new. Our X30 was delivered in mid May and we put roughly 65 hours on it this summer (keep in mind our lake is a 2.5 hour drive away), we probably put 10-15 hours on the Formula. We have direct access to Lake Michigan from our lake so having the Formula is great in that we have a couple of destinations we can cruise to that are about 45-60 minutes away. It is by far a great boat to have when that water gets rough or if you feel like you want to burn though a $h!t ton of gas and put the hammers down. I will say though that flying up and down the lake tends to get old real quick, we are on a pretty big lake (roughly 5 miles end to end) so on the X30 you can go for a good cruise, on the Formula there are two problems, first when you're doing 60+mph you run out of lake pretty quick and secondly our lake has a no wake zone for boats over 28' that is right in the middle so that shortens the lake even more. Like I said we can go out to Lake Michigan but it takes a good 30 minutes to get through the channel, so you're looking at atleast an hour and a half trip just to fly around, versus just staying on our lake. One of the main reasons we got the 30 was for the room. 5-6 people on the Formula is about it as far as comfortability, you may be able to get 1 or 2 more people on but then someone always has to stand versus on the X30 a couple of different times we had 16 (9 adults, 7 kids) and never really felt crowded. If you're all about speed and tying up and partying then I'd say a powerboat is the way to go, otherwise you are pretty limited in what you can do with one. The last thing I'll say is regarding drivability, put my wife behind the wheel of the X30 and she can hold her own pretty well, put her behind the wheel of the Formula and she gets as nervous as all get out (two throttles, two gear levers, trim tabs, switches for putting the drives in and out, not to mention just the sheer size). If you're going to be out partying on it more than likely you're going to be the one driving back which means you'd have to behave yourself. I doubt we'll be getting rid of either boat soon but if we did I'm 99% sure the Formula would be the one to go.