Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 190, x45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Does anyone know that MC part number for these? I want to put a few on my PS205
Part #554020 and about $116 each.
To see the actual part, get your hands on the new catalog and its near the end.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
suction cups

I used suction cups on my last boat and one fell off in the middle of the night cost about $1,000 to fix the next week while it plowed against the dock in the night and the next morning. Won't do that again, please beware. They may be fine for going into a store or getting gas but I would NOT ever leave my boat unattended for any amount of time with them. I never had a problem till that night either.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Fenders tied with ropes for the main fenders is the best. I have not found a good system of suction cups or hangers that was any easier or effective and have dropped several into the water.

We dont even know what kind of boat or existing cleat locations OP has.
I have added an extra set up pull up cleats to the rear corners of mine. Ski boats are notorious for poor or non-existant cleats. If you are into social rafting or overnight docking, dont be afraid to add additional cleats. Use larger backing plates and ideally add a couple layers of fiberglass reinforcement and you will never wish they were not there. Stainless welding when you rip out rails or interior repair from torn handles used to tie off sucks and costs more than just doing it right.

8" Taylor made Big B is a reliable fender. The Big B is pure usable fender, no eyes to bend funny or take up extra room.
I use 10's at the tower and 8's on the rear with another 6 and 4 for those odd points. Big fenders are the best solution for a relaxing day in the cove and no excuses for scratches.

Last edited by bsloop; 11-20-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
I have these little "clips" that allow me to hang my fenders....

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
picture

Can we get a close up? They look neat but I can't see them very well to tell what they are.

Thanks,

JG
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
I used suction cups on my last boat and one fell off in the middle of the night cost about $1,000 to fix the next week while it plowed against the dock in the night and the next morning. Won't do that again, please beware. They may be fine for going into a store or getting gas but I would NOT ever leave my boat unattended for any amount of time with them. I never had a problem till that night either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Fenders tied with ropes for the main fenders is the best. I have not found a good system of suction cups or hangers that was any easier or effective and have dropped several into the water.

We dont even know what kind of boat or existing cleat locations OP has.
I have added an extra set up pull up cleats to the rear corners of mine. Ski boats are notorious for poor or non-existant cleats. If you are into social rafting or overnight docking, dont be afraid to add additional cleats. Use larger backing plates and ideally add a couple layers of fiberglass reinforcement and you will never wish they were not there. Stainless welding when you rip out rails or interior repair from torn handles used to tie off sucks and costs more than just doing it right.

8" Taylor made Big B is a reliable fender. The Big B is pure usable fender, no eyes to bend funny or take up extra room.
I use 10's at the tower and 8's on the rear with another 6 and 4 for those odd points. Big fenders are the best solution for a relaxing day in the cove and no excuses for scratches.
I tried the suction cup things when I had my old boat. I did not take me long to figure out they were something I did not want to use and threw them away. My fenders get tied on at the rear cleats looping them through, and to the front leg of the tower using a two-half hitch knot just above the knob so that they will not slide down.

The only time I overnight dock is while on vacation. I get there early so that I can get a slip with dock/cleats on both sides of the boat. Then I use "spring lines" on both sides so that the boat is kept away from the dock; I still have fenders deployed. This allows the boat and dock to pitch independently when some yahoo throws a wake in the no-wake zone.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 11-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 190, x45
2013 fender hangers

Part #554020
Sorry for the crappy photo. It from the new 2013 catalog, page 54.
I had one in my hand, these things are very sturdy. Just ordered 8 for the X80.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
.............. when some yahoo throws a wake in the no-wake zone.
Ah, that never happens.....especially at Shasta........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
The problem with most fender locks is there is a trade off between esthetics and convience vs reliability and functionality. Cost and install accessability also come into play.

Many of the fixed location side mounts look good but are not adjustable, especially where adjustability is needed most midships.
If a boat is always docked at the same location then fixed fenders are fine and look awsome, CottagerGreg is a great example.
If a boat has changing locaitons like between a low private dock and higher setting commercial docks or rafts up to a variety of boats, fender height may change from water level to above the rub rail.

Several examples which can be found on a variety of websites usually by several different mfg. -

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/cleats.html - Push pin cleats sans the fancy MC logo, mushroom and pull up.
http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...e/product/315/ - perko / attwood - slide ring has a tendency to release when fenders are pushed up
http://shop.acconmarine.com/products...er-hanger.aspx - interesting but have never seen installed.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/TMP...,++2+Pack.html

These are all neat inventions.
For me, a side 4 1/2" pull up cleat is most functional if a permenant location is desired. Flexible as a spring line point and a quick, secure, adjustable fender mount.
For our wakeboard boats, I like the higher hanging option our tower provides especially when mooring against taller boats and docks. The fender can be placed at the rub rail or even above. The fact some might deem a hanging fender less attractive pales compared to a scratch due to misaligned fender.
The various hangers work ok too but are usually more trouble than they are worth. I rig my Big B with 9' of line. Hang, wrap 3 times and tie with a half bow. Flexible, fast and secure.
Attached Images

Last edited by bsloop; 11-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaX45 View Post
Part #554020 and about $116 each.
To see the actual part, get your hands on the new catalog and its near the end.
They are nice, but $116 each? Which each person wanting these needing 4 or more each, this has un-official group buy written all over it.