Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
A different filter won't help the -ticking lifter noise on cold engine- problem that's been described here.
A higher quality filter is better for your engine, but it won't fix this problem... IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyOrange88 View Post
I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but the filter is the cheap, probably unbranded one they use at Jiffy-Lube. I used to always change my oil/filter myself, but disposing of the oil became a chore I no longer wanted to deal with. I still do all of the other fuel/air filters etc.

I think I'm going try your suggestion, get a Wix and maybe maybe a bit heavier oil, and see if makes any difference. I think the oil recommendation for my '01 5.3 is 5W-30 or 10W-30 and that is what has been used.

For the boat I use the FL1A and SAE 30 oil. That of course I change myself!
You probably wont get a discount on the service but you can take in your own filter.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
A different filter won't help the -ticking lifter noise on cold engine- problem that's been described here.
A higher quality filter is better for your engine, but it won't fix this problem... IMO.
I wouldn't be so fast to say that. Anti drain back valves are not all built the same and some filters don't even have them. Letting the lifters drain out can cause noise at start up. This is the case on my wife's van.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I wouldn't be so fast to say that. Anti drain back valves are not all built the same and some filters don't even have them. Letting the lifters drain out can cause noise at start up. This is the case on my wife's van.
The lifters "draining out" has nothing to do with the oil filter.
Aside from that, the GM engines referred to in this thread have a vertical mounted filter so they don't benefit from an anti-drainback valve.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
The lifters "draining out" has nothing to do with the oil filter.
Aside from that, the GM engines referred to in this thread have a vertical mounted filter so they don't benefit from an anti-drainback valve.
OK, don't try a different filter.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
OK, don't try a different filter.
Or, do what some of the GM service bulletins say. Try a different filter. It's just a suggestion and at 5 bucks is surely worth a try, or not. Yes I know the OPs vehicle is an 02.

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643955
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Noise on Start-Up, but Only Lasting a Few Seconds Cause Correction

Incorrect oil filter without anti-drainback feature
Install the correct oil filter.

Incorrect oil viscosity
•Drain the oil.
•Install the correct viscosity oil.

High valve lifter leak down rate
Replace the lifters, as required.

Worn thrust bearing
•Check the crankshaft end play.
•Inspect the thrust bearing and crankshaft.
•Repair or replace, as required.

Damaged or faulty oil filter bypass valve
•Inspect the oil filter bypass valve for proper operation.
•Repair or replace, as required.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but the filter is the cheap, probably unbranded one they use at Jiffy-Lube. I used to always change my oil/filter myself, but disposing of the oil became a chore I no longer wanted to deal with. I still do all of the other fuel/air filters etc.

I think I'm going try your suggestion, get a Wix and maybe maybe a bit heavier oil, and see if makes any difference. I think the oil recommendation for my '01 5.3 is 5W-30 or 10W-30 and that is what has been used.

For the boat I use the FL1A and SAE 30 oil. That of course I change myself!
For what it's worth....
Changed my Tahoe oil/filter this past weekend, ended up with a Napa Silver filter as they didn't have a Wix for my application (not sure where the Napa branded filter lies in the quality scale or if it has the drainback feature). Also changed to 20W-50 oil. It helped, but didn't eliminate the noise issue. A bit strange, but now it starts and runs silently for about 30 seconds, then has 'the noise' for about a minute. It isn't as loud, nor for as long, as it was. Before, noise was apparent immediately upon startup. Sometimes I thought I had a diesel under the hood. Having an engine that is'full' of oil also probably helps as my rear main seal drips.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth....
Changed my Tahoe oil/filter this past weekend, ended up with a Napa Silver filter as they didn't have a Wix for my application (not sure where the Napa branded filter lies in the quality scale or if it has the drainback feature). Also changed to 20W-50 oil. It helped, but didn't eliminate the noise issue. A bit strange, but now it starts and runs silently for about 30 seconds, then has 'the noise' for about a minute. It isn't as loud, nor for as long, as it was. Before, noise was apparent immediately upon startup. Sometimes I thought I had a diesel under the hood. Having an engine that is'full' of oil also probably helps as my rear main seal drips.
ORiely's should have a wix for just about any motor.

I'm glad you at least have some relief and indeed a change in the behavior of the tick. I would not give up complete hope on the filter oil combination. While it may not be a complete fix for everyone I have seen it work more then once.

I've also heard of people running half a quart of marvels mystery oil for a couple of oil changes as well.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 12-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
ORiely's should have a wix for just about any motor.

I'm glad you at least have some relief and indeed a change in the behavior of the tick. I would not give up complete hope on the filter oil combination. While it may not be a complete fix for everyone I have seen it work more then once.

I've also heard of people running half a quart of marvels mystery oil for a couple of oil changes as well.
There is an old trick I haven't heard of for a while. Used to work. May be worth a try.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
I bought the 6.0 out of a 2500 (same engine base as 5.3) for my drag car project. Was told it had a noisy lifter. I pulled it apart because I wanted to put a bigger cam in it anyway, and to our surprise, a chunk was missing on one of the stock cam lobes. Hopefully yours isn't that bad, but I just figured I'd post it here since we're talking about it.