Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,154
The employees and unions need to understand that it was the owners money, sacrifice and risk that gave them a job. The owners only owe the employees a safe place to work and a paycheck at the end of the week! If the employees don't feel or think they're being paid enough they should look for another job. Or better yet take the risk of starting their own business and see how it feels to be unionized!!!

Want to know why we've lost so many jobs to China? One word Unions!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
medicmoose's Avatar
medicmoose medicmoose is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Location: Lake of the Woods
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier View Post
The employees and unions need to understand that it was the owners money, sacrifice and risk that gave them a job. The owners only owe the employees a safe place to work and a paycheck at the end of the week! If the employees don't feel or think they're being paid enough they should look for another job. Or better yet take the risk of starting their own business and see how it feels to be unionized!!!

Want to know why we've lost so many jobs to China? One word Unions!!!
AMEN!! I mean unions served a great purpose at one time but these days they only serve to protect those who could never retain employment without a union. It sickens me! The "pendulum swing" has gone too far the other way...we need to bring it back to the middle where there are fair wages, safe work environments but that slight, healthy fear of losing your job that keeps you on the straight and narrow.

We now have lots of legislation/laws (at least here in Canada) that protect workers that the unions usefulness is greatly diminished. Now they are more intent on causing problems than they are in creating solutions!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM
TOO-TALL's Avatar
TOO-TALL TOO-TALL is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Location: Kankakee,IL
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier View Post

Want to know why we've lost so many jobs to China? One word Unions!!!
So True!!
__________________
"Hey baby want to make fourteen dollars the hard way?"--Rondhey Dangerfeild-Caddy Shack.


"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,012
Twinkies will be back in under six months. Hostess, probably not. But two bankruptcies in the last 8 years, it was probably coming the strike notwithstanding.

I haven't had a twinkie or a dingdong or a snoball or anything like that in so long, I'm pretty sure I won't miss it.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
liledgy liledgy is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Location: midwest
Posts: 295
No dog in this fight. But to compare a union today to the steelworkers of the seventies is ridiculous. They might as well as be on different planets. I have know idea what they make (and no one here has offered up any info either) so to blame union when you have no idea about the details shows your ignorance. I find it very hard to blue e that a factory worker wants 10-15% per year increase in wages. Unions have helped far more people (non union and white collar) outside of collective bargaining than themselves. And besides the owners of company's or the blue chip officers of large corporations were all better off when companies pay a decent working wage and benefit package.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
ted shred ted shred is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Boat: Mastercraft,powerslot,1983,pleasurecraft 351
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Surely with unemployment above 8% there are people that could fill those 18,500 jobs...

From what I understand, the union workers were looking for somewhere between a 10-15% increase in wages every year built into the contracts. That's a bit excessive considering the state of the economy right now.
The workers simply wanted to keep what they had. Back in 2008 all the union employees at Hostess were asked to give wage and benefit concessions to help the company get out of bankruptcy. They complied, the company did not adhere to their plan to turn the company around. Instead most of the management got bonuses. The company did not reinvest modernization as they had proposed.
They did not want to see this happen again. I am one of the Teamsters who accepted the new proposal. The bakers chose not to. It's too bad that they chose to shut down. It is also questionable if these concessions would have been enough to turn things around. The company was poorly managed on almost every level.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
No dog in this fight. But to compare a union today to the steelworkers of the seventies is ridiculous. They might as well as be on different planets. I have know idea what they make (and no one here has offered up any info either) so to blame union when you have no idea about the details shows your ignorance. I find it very hard to blue e that a factory worker wants 10-15% per year increase in wages. Unions have helped far more people (non union and white collar) outside of collective bargaining than themselves. And besides the owners of company's or the blue chip officers of large corporations were all better off when companies pay a decent working wage and benefit package.
This obviously shows your ignorance. Unions are only in the game for what's in it for "THEM". They could care less about who they represent or who they put out of business as long as their members pay dues! Many a good company has gone out of business in the USA because unions told their members not to take wage concessions and hold out. Where are these employee's now? In the unemployment line or greeting customers at Walmart!

So what do the unions do after these hard working individuals lose their jobs? They tell their members we're sorry we gave it our best effort and then start looking to organize another company. The only thing the unions are concerned about is collecting DUES!!! So they can live Fat & Happy!!!

You obviously have never run or owned a company that a union has tried to organize! I have and I can tell you first hand that I fought the unions and Won!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 AM
GoneBoatN's Avatar
GoneBoatN GoneBoatN is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
...Unions have helped far more people (non union and white collar) outside of collective bargaining than themselves...
I have but one word: Seriously?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM
liledgy liledgy is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Location: midwest
Posts: 295
Yes, seriously. Pike electric (southern electrical contractor) is just coming back from hurricane sandy. The line hands had a good couple of weeks thanks to the ibew and the Neca contractors association.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 AM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
Yes, seriously. Pike electric (southern electrical contractor) is just coming back from hurricane sandy. The line hands had a good couple of weeks thanks to the ibew and the Neca contractors association.
Pike Electric working Hurricane Sandy had nothing to do with the IBEW or NECA Contractors Association. Companies not the IBEW or NECA contract their workers to the local utilities when a natural disater occurs. The IBEW does not own any equipment they only represent their membership.
__________________

Last edited by trickskier; 11-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.