Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Surely with unemployment above 8% there are people that could fill those 18,500 jobs...

From what I understand, the union workers were looking for somewhere between a 10-15% increase in wages every year built into the contracts. That's a bit excessive considering the state of the economy right now.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Also have to look at the big picture as to hostess' revenues. In the current day, you have to anticipate what the market wants and continue to adjust. My guess is that like blockbuster video and some others, they weren't keeping pace with the market. As said above, "I have a twinkie once or twice a year". I imagine the demand for processed cakes filled with sugar laden fillings is probably much smaller than when I was a kid (my favorite was snowballs- loved the coconut!) and many like me, haven't bought too many of their products over the years. Couple this with higher labor costs, and at some point you might as well call it quits.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeS6DvyLScE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vYj0E2Hr0
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Hmmm.. stockpiling twinkies... Their shelf life is probably in the years so this may be a good idea. Or sell on ebay.
I thought it was determined that they have a half-life, not shelf-life.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I havenít had a Twinkie in over 20 years. This thread prompted me to get one out of the vending machine as it may be my last chance.

Now I remember why I havenít had one in 20 years.

But since they have an infinite shelf life, I was counting on them for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
MC Master Poster

I'm concerned more about the hit to the venders and companies that provided services to Hostess, as well as to the employees. The loss to the whole chain will be extensive. 18.5K who will no longer buy as much gas, food, electronics, clothing, cars/trucks or anything else. OTOH, if the unemployed have great benefits and are vested in their pension, some will probably retire but they could have avoided this- better to take a bit of a hit than lose the job if it means the company stays in business, IMO.

When the mantra becomes "More for me! More for me!", the chance of a company's survival becomes smaller and smaller.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Just remember u can suck out the insides with a straw....lol
Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
I havenít had a Twinkie in over 20 years. This thread prompted me to get one out of the vending machine as it may be my last chance.

Now I remember why I havenít had one in 20 years.

But since they have an infinite shelf life, I was counting on them for the zombie apocalypse.
Have you SEEN zombieland???

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I'm concerned more about the hit to the venders and companies that provided services to Hostess, as well as to the employees. The loss to the whole chain will be extensive. 18.5K who will no longer buy as much gas, food, electronics, clothing, cars/trucks or anything else. OTOH, if the unemployed have great benefits and are vested in their pension, some will probably retire but they could have avoided this- better to take a bit of a hit than lose the job if it means the company stays in business, IMO.

When the mantra becomes "More for me! More for me!", the chance of a company's survival becomes smaller and smaller.
I'm sure the CEO's were paying themselves healthily through this whole downturn process as well. Actually I think I saw an article pointing out that "it was reported" (whatever that means) that the execs were boosting their share by 80% while not wanting to pay the labor unions more. Who knows...

Maybe Bane Capital needs to step in.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I thought it was determined that they have a half-life, not shelf-life.
Ha! Clever!