Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Xstar 08 MCX
No, what would be the point??

Last edited by Red 08 Xstar; 11-14-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post

Hey could be a good theft deterrent, guy tries to steal my boat, does a Don Garlits (Dating Myself) burn out and leaves the boat on the drive way. Trashed the out gear, lost the trailer, but hey I still have my boat
Ya, I saw Big Daddy Garlits run a couple of times back in the 70s.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I would have to disagree and say you are actually doing more damage to release the tension and then crank it back down before towing again. From a fatigue standpoint (slowly failing the eyehook by repeated loading, not a one type overload failure), it is overall strain damage or cycles that cause failure. Everytime you crank down on your eyehook, you apply load onto the eyehook, which "stretches" the eyehook and causes a cycle of fatigue "damage". You then drive down the road and hit bumps which cause increases and decreases in the loading, which result in smaller cycles of "damage". If you get home and release the eyehook load, and then crank it back down again, you just added another cycle of damage. Holding the eyehook under a constant load (sitting in your garage still cranked down tight) does no further damage to the eyehook. Fatigue failures happen after the overall amount of strain "damage" is too much for the material to handle. The largest "damage" cycles are the ones with the greatest change in load, which would be cranking the boat down tight.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 WTT ProStar 197
It must be winter time if this is the kind of stuff you guys are talking about. And its just the beginning of winter.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
this may just be my boat specifically (2007 xstar), but i always release the tension as well - but my bow stays right where it was on the trailer. Never thought about this from a bow-eye perspective, i was just trying to lengthen the life of the strap
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I would have to disagree and say you are actually doing more damage to release the tension and then crank it back down before towing again. From a fatigue standpoint (slowly failing the eyehook by repeated loading, not a one type overload failure), it is overall strain damage or cycles that cause failure. Everytime you crank down on your eyehook, you apply load onto the eyehook, which "stretches" the eyehook and causes a cycle of fatigue "damage". You then drive down the road and hit bumps which cause increases and decreases in the loading, which result in smaller cycles of "damage". If you get home and release the eyehook load, and then crank it back down again, you just added another cycle of damage. Holding the eyehook under a constant load (sitting in your garage still cranked down tight) does no further damage to the eyehook. Fatigue failures happen after the overall amount of strain "damage" is too much for the material to handle. The largest "damage" cycles are the ones with the greatest change in load, which would be cranking the boat down tight.
I think the concern has to do with the strain on the glass around the bow eye would what one would want to protect. I really don't imagine that anyone is seriously thinking that their bow eye is in danger of stretching and breaking. But I'm not a metallurgist, I'm just a salesman.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I think the concern has to do with the strain on the glass around the bow eye would what one would want to protect. I really don't imagine that anyone is seriously thinking that their bow eye is in danger of stretching and breaking. But I'm not a metallurgist, I'm just a salesman.
When I said eyehook, I was referring to whole eyehook area, including the fiberglass as the area of concern. Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The same issues would affect both the fiberglass and the metal hook, but obviously, the glass would be the weaker of the two.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
. But I'm not a metallurgist, I'm just a salesman.

....thread jack.... just a salesman?!!! pshaw...it's one of the greatest professions....when done well...and I assume you do it well....

point of reference...what do you call a medical student who graduates last from the lowest ranked medical school? -

Most of the leadership in this country and my state (Illinois) when to IVY League or some other highly ranked university...

So never just a salesman....
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
....thread jack.... just a salesman?!!! pshaw...it's one of the greatest professions....when done well...and I assume you do it well....

point of reference...what do you call a medical student who graduates last from the lowest ranked medical school? -

Most of the leadership in this country and my state (Illinois) when to IVY League or some other highly ranked university...

So never just a salesman....
That was a little "tongue in cheek", but thanks for the vote of confidence. At least it's not the oldest profession...............well, I guess it is at that.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
It must be winter time if this is the kind of stuff you guys are talking about. And its just the beginning of winter.