Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 99 Sportstar
Good combo skis I can grow on

A little history. We purchased a house on the lake last fall, after looking for about 2 years for one in our price range. Purchased a 99 Sportstar this spring and have been lurking in the forum quite a bit.

Yesterday my neighbor took me out on his Nautique with the barefoot boom attached. Got up on his combos while holding onto the boom no problem. We attached a 5' leader to the boom and got up on that no problem, we then progressed to a tow rope. After a lap or two around the lake he asked if I wanted to try slaloming off the boom. Went pretty well. Had a bit of trouble staying up once we switched to the 5' leader. It was getting late so we called it a night. I'm hooked though.

His combo skis are older and pretty narrow. I'd like to get my own set but after looking through the forum have a few questions. I see the HO Blast recommended a lot. Once someone progresses is there a set for the next level or would the Blast work well for more than just learning on? Not saying I'm great after just one outing but getting out onto the water is only a 60' walk from the desk to the boat dock. Since the wife and daughter are loving anything on the boat I'll hopefully progress quickly.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I'd just check on craigslist for some combo's in good shape. Lots of them on there and you'll save some coin. Spend your money on a decent slalom ski if that's your end goal.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I say skip the skis altogether!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
TT Newbie

Not yet. I watch my neighbor jump off the dock and take off barefoot. Pretty impressive. Although pretty funny when it occasionally goes wrong.

Just looking for a decent combo set to grow and progress on.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
HO Blasts are very easy to get up on.. big wide skis... no really good combos out there.. just get ones for your weight.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Buying good combo skis is a bit like buying a really good tricycle. You will only use the combos until you are comfortable enough to try the slalom ski and that won't be very long.

I would talk to my neighbor and see what he thinks. Ski boat owners (even that other brand) like nothing more than getting another person involved in their sport. He has seen you on the water and knows how far you are from the slalom ski. He will probably say, "Get yourself a decent intermediate slalom ski and let's go out." He will probably have an old ski that he might be willing to part with. Buy the gas, use your boat, whatever it takes. Your best resource is next door.

Get yourself a decent intermediate ski and whatever you need to get your wife and daughter on the water at the end of a rope.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Don't worry the wife and daughter are already out there. Got the wife a wakeboard, as that's what she wanted to try first, and she's progressing on that well. Took the daughter out on a buddies kneeboard so she could get her feet wet so to speak. My neighbor is taking her out this weekend with the boom to work on skiing. Which given his easy going demeanor should work well.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Buying good combo skis is a bit like buying a really good tricycle. You will only use the combos until you are comfortable enough to try the slalom ski and that won't be very long.

I would talk to my neighbor and see what he thinks. Ski boat owners (even that other brand) like nothing more than getting another person involved in their sport. He has seen you on the water and knows how far you are from the slalom ski. He will probably say, "Get yourself a decent intermediate slalom ski and let's go out." He will probably have an old ski that he might be willing to part with. Buy the gas, use your boat, whatever it takes. Your best resource is next door.

Get yourself a decent intermediate ski and whatever you need to get your wife and daughter on the water at the end of a rope.
All you need to know right there!
I will only add that you will always need a pair of combos for visitors.So if you do get a pair get one with decent bindings that will last more then a season.
Good luck!

PS.
You're hook.Hope you know it!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
All you need to know right there!
I will only add that you will always need a pair of combos for visitors.So if you do get a pair get one with decent bindings that will last more then a season.
Good luck!

PS.
You're hook.Hope you know it!
I agree!

Hi Andre!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
I agree!

Hi Andre!
Hey there!
Using that 82 this year i hope?
Yep,first week of 6 weeks vacation again so you'll see me hangin around here.
Big summer.turning 50 soon...