Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
So I took advantage of the generous discount on the box anchor and shore spike on here this past spring. I have used the box anchor all summer and it has worked great. I used the shore spike only once on Memorial Day weekend.

About halfway through the day I noticed some red marks on the rear sun pad. It looked like paint or something. I could not figure out what or where. When we got home, we tried to clean. It came out a little, but it is still there even today. At the time my wife offered up that it might have been toe nail polish that rubbed off some guests.

Today, when cleaning up the boat, I pulled the shore spike out of the bag and realized what the stain was from. The shore spike has a yellow handle with red splatter paint on it. It looks really great, but I finally figured out that it was this shore spike sitting on the sun pad. Iím not sure why the paint came off. It could have been the heat, sun or maybe even the spray on sun block we were using.

So today, I took a razor blade and gently removed as much of the big chunks of paint and then used mineral spirits to remove the rest. It came out pretty nice, but the paint when softened with mineral spirits, it was blood red. No doubt this would have stained anything.

I still have a small spot of red on the sun pad. Not sure if I should touch it with mineral spirits or anything else.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 84 mastercraft stars and stripes 351 with powerslot
Mineral spirits(paint thinner) won't hurt the sun pad. I would steer clear of strong solvents though. Maybe test an area with the mineral spirits that's not visable. I had tiny black specks on my seat near the engine compartment and thinner removed it with no harm.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
"Warning" dont leave objects, especially if they are sharp or metal laying on vinyl......good to know.

Wish "heat and sun" were still a problem!