Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Whining speakers but no head unit power

I'm having some issue with the wiring in my boat. When i bought it, it had 4 x 6v batteries hooked up in series down the back and a 12v battery under the observers seat. After doing a bit of research i have removed the 4 batteries from the back and now i'm just using the normal 12v battery.

The boat starts and everything is sweet except the stereo.

The head unit won't turn on. I can hear a whine in the speakers when the engine is running. So the speakers have power.

The dude i bought it off had 3 subs in it but now it only has one, it has 2 amps and a remote thing near the drivers seat. When i push buttons on the remote, the speakers beep but there's nothing at the head unit.

There's heaps of wires in there that don't seem to go anywhere!

Am i better off ripping it all out and only putting when i need back in??
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Trouble shooting a custom wired system that may or may not have ever been installed correctly is going to be time consuming at a minimum and more likely near impossible. From your description it would sound like the amps are powered up but the head unit isn't or a ground is missing.

My present boat came with a rat's nest of wiring from what I was told was a professionally installed $3K stereo system. The system sounded like crap and I had a whine that wouldn't go away. After a week of trying to figure out what the problem was I finally bit the bullet, tore everything out and started from scratch. After about a 8 hour investment of my time and another $200 in wiring/wiring components the system was up and running correctly. I'd probably still be working on it today if I had tried to fix what was installed by the PO.

My vote would be to research the gear that you currently have installed and determine what components you have and want to keep. Uninstall completely and reinstall correctly using marine rated wiring, bus bars and breakers where necessary. Without seeing the installation or being able to access the components for marine compatibility it's hard to make solid recommendations. There are several recent post of very well installed systems on this board and several members that know a lot about stereo installations. If you're willing to put the time in you should be able to get any advise/assistance you need here......
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post
I'm having some issue with the wiring in my boat. When i bought it, it had 4 x 6v batteries hooked up in series down the back and a 12v battery under the observers seat. After doing a bit of research i have removed the 4 batteries from the back and now i'm just using the normal 12v battery.

The boat starts and everything is sweet except the stereo.

The head unit won't turn on. I can hear a whine in the speakers when the engine is running. So the speakers have power.

The dude i bought it off had 3 subs in it but now it only has one, it has 2 amps and a remote thing near the drivers seat. When i push buttons on the remote, the speakers beep but there's nothing at the head unit.

There's heaps of wires in there that don't seem to go anywhere!

Am i better off ripping it all out and only putting when i need back in??
I agree-leave the equipment in its various locations and inspect the wiring- what looks like it was sensibly routed? Leave that. If you see bundles of wires that look like a nest, disconnect the power from the batteries and remove the nest.

I would seriously consider punting the 6V batteries and then determine the system's power requirements- it's possible that one additional car battery will be sufficient but cobbling together four 6V batteries is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
My first question would be, did the system operate normally prior to disturbing the battery wiring?

Removing the 4 6V batteries basically guts the house bank which was more then likely powering the stereo system. IF it was done correctly, then it probably will not work now that the house bank has been removed. This is evident now since you only have a whine and the H/U will not power up. Sounds like the amp's remote turn-on may have their own trigger, one thats not supplied by the head-unit.

I would recommend seeking the assistance of someone thats knowledgeable about 12V and marine mobile audio. You need to evaluate the gear thats there and decide what will fit in the system you want. Then you need to determine how you intend to you that system, and design a house battery bank that will serve that need. Marine audio is quite different then car audio, especially when dual battery banks are part of the scheme.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
This situation as it's described deserves serious concern and perhaps a professional's help.
You do not want to remove any wiring until you have tested and determined the termination of all wires at both ends. You do not want to modify a circuit related to a boat operation that is entangled within the stereo nest. Test all boat operations before and after.
Testing normally only requires an inexpensive multimeter and a long jumper lead.
But you have to know the basic logic of what you are doing before proceeding. And that includes the basics of both the charging system and stereo systems in general.
First, you have to identify what a wire is NOT....meaning you have to eliminate 'power' in any mode before testing grounds or continuity.
I would also leave bread crumbs by labeling every single wire before removing any electronic component.
An amplifier would normally remain off without a powered-up source unit. So that alone is unusual.99.9 percent of the time a speaker will not pick up a whine unless the noise source is in the electronics or electronics interface. And non-terminated amplifier inputs can pick up just about anything. It will be wasteful to track down the noise source until you have established a correct stereo system circuit in full.

David