Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: looking!
Wake surf a mc x15

Hello,

Looking for a used boat to mainly wakesurf w my kids (65%), wakeboard (25%) and everything else (10%). I have the choices narrowed down to MC, Tige, Centurion and Malibu.

Found a 2006 x15 that is local. What are your guys thoughts on surfing this boat? I have read positive and negative thoughts on different sites... I don't want to require bags all over the seats and 5 people in the boat the whole time.... Needs to be quick and easy.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
It surfs better on the left than the right. If you are looking to surf with factory ballast and two people in the boat, you aren't going to get much of a wake. We don't add any additional ballast, but with our usual couple people in the back corner, it surfs decent. If you are looking for a huge wake like some of the X-25's are posting, that isn't happening without a lot of people or weight.

2013 X-25
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Anecdotally the Tige and Centurion will surf much better than the X15. I've heard the 15 needs a ton of weight.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
The Tige and Centurion need just as much weight as a X-15. The difference is that they just come with more from the factory, which makes them truly not NMMA approved but that is a completely different issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
The X-15 surfs well and does everything else well too. It is one of my favorite crossover boats out there and completely underrated.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
The X-15 surfs well and does everything else well too. It is one of my favorite crossover boats out there and completely underrated.
I do love our X-15. It does surf and wake very well, but I don't think it surfs really well with just factory ballast and no people - at least for me at 205 lbs on a Hyperlite Broadcast. We always have 6 people but never have extra ballast bags and I do just fine then. If I have 8 people and no extra ballast, it is a pretty kick-*** wake for me. I'm not saying it is the same as a X-25 running several 750's but you said you wanted a description "without 5 people and without extra bags all over the seats". That being said - I absolutely LOVE our X-15. Since they don't make it anymore, I'm not sure where I'd go next - probably an X-25.

2013 X-25
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Centurion Avlanche I have ridden behind have the best surf wake in stock form and otherwise.
The hulls are designed to have a sharper wake.
This is great surfing but did take a little getting used to wakeboarding. The wake is very "peaky" and tends to want to buck the rider vertical quicker.

MC and Malibu have the best wakeboard wake as a brand, IMO.
For a heavy surf user with limited wake as you describe, I would definately ride behind a Centurion and ride behind any boat before buying.
Each brand and even model will have a different wake feel.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
Surfing our 15

We have a 2012 X-15 and in my opinion the wake surfing wake isn't that great. We always surf to port (heard starboard was better) but we add 400 to LR locker, 400 to left side seat, and always place bodies (usually 4 averaging 150lbs) along the port side of the boat. Even with all that weight we still don't get a lot of push. This is probably because I learned to surf behind Specter's X-30 which is an amazing surf boat w/ 900 LR locker and 400 on the port side seats. That said, the x-15 is an amazing wakeboarding boat. The wake is steep and you can really get some pop off of it. I am a slalom skier too and have heard that it ski's well but again I learned to ski behind a 190 so I haven't gotten the nerve to get back there.