Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
2000 X Star Battery set up

Hey,

I have just bought myself a 2000 Mastercraft X Star and is has a strange battery set up. It has the standard 12v battery under the observers seat but then it has four 6v batteries set up in series (positive-negative) down the back next to motor. It then goes in to the cut off switch where the 12v battery hooks in as well..

Does anyone know why it would be set up like this and what does it achieve?

I emailed Mastercraft and they said they have never heard of it!!

Any help/advise would be appreciated!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've never seen or heard of a set up like that in a MasterCraft boat and if it's attached as you say it's set up to provide a 24 volt power source. I've seen two 6 volt batteries wired in series to provide a 12 volt source in situations where space was a issue and the smaller 6 volt batteries allowed for the installation in the smaller area but this was in a custom car not a MasterCraft boat.. Past that I can see no reason to use such a set up.

Sounds to me like you have a "one off" modification by someone playing Edison creating a "new and better" electrical system. If I were to guess I'd say it was used for the ballast system in an attempt to spin the pumps quicker which might work but certianly wouldn't be recommended. If it were me I'd be looking to deconstruct the installation and return it to stock. I would also go over the entire electrical system to ensure the Edison inspired previous owner didn't make any other "improvements" that might jeopardize the integrity and safety of the electrical system of the boat.

That being said I would love to see a picture of the installation.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
I would guess they are 2 sets of 2 6v in series. Then in parallel for a 12 volt output. Might check your connections look at the polarities on the batteries not the color of the wire. Might be golf cart batteries as they have a higher amp hour rating and recover better from being discharged. If they are connected into your cutoff switch they would have to both be 12volt.

Like bturner2 said "pictures"

I'm guessing you have a nice stereo setup and the PO liked to crank it up.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
JWP,

Using 6V golf cart batteries is common for those with large, high-current draw stereo systems and other accessories like lights and like to spend a LOT of time anchored playing the system with the engine off.

With 4 6V, you could have 400+ Ah's. Like noted above, they should be wired in a series/parallel configuration. With 4 batteries, you will have 2 pair wired in series so they equal 12V, then each pair wired together in parallel, which stacks the batteries' amp hours. I would also hope there is an on-board charger of some kind to replenish that large bank.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 AM
TT Regular

Here's a couple of pics. I've unhooked the other side but this give you an idea of what was hooked up..
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x80
they have it set up like that for running big stereos for a long period of time without having to start the boat to charge them. im running 6 6volts in my x80 and it will play the stereo for 2 or 3 days wide open with out having to charge them once. im running about 5000 watts rms
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x80
if you have a big stereo or plan on installing one. those batteries are a must have. ive tried them all and nothing works as well.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM
TT Regular

So it is for the stereo?!

Well i don't think i'll be pumping the stereo without the boat going so i'm guessing i don't need them?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Old post, but a problem you have is the PO mixed his batts (Trojan T-105 and T-605). Batts should be the same make/model/specs and the same (or close) in age. Disregarding that, why would you want to get rid of 6V Trojans? In my opinion they are about the best setup you can have to power your boat's goodies (I run three group 31 Trojans as my house batts in my RV (batt tray isn't big enough for four 6v Trojans like I preferred)). I know when it's time to replace my current boat batteries, I'll run 4 Trojans golf cart batts (two series groups running parallel). If you have the room, it's the better setup (their plates are thicker than 12v batts, they can be repeatedly discharged lower than a 12v batt and not get damaged like a 12v, they take the abuse of rough waters better too). Anyway, just thought I'd chime in. If you ever want to learn more about batts than you ever could want, check out the RV forums as RVs are so dependent on them.