Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have bought myself a 2000 x star and it doesnt have anywhere to hook a garden hose in to the motor, and research tells me that a fake-a-lake is the thing to use. So i went a bought one, hooked it up, turned the hose one, and started the engine.. But no water came out the exhaust..

Was i doing something wrong? Isn't water supposed to come out the exhaust??

I ran the boat for only 1-2 minutes but i know that is more than enough time to ruin an impeller!
That's the reason I don't like them. I used one a few times and had major problems keeping it where it needed to be. It's a lot easier to attach a hose with a shut-off to the raw water inlet and KNOW you have water going to the engine. Any hardware store should have what you need, although I don't know what's available in Australia.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I wasn't a believer...even with Tim(can't_repeat)...so one day when I was bored I spent $10 bucks to make the below. Even at idle the hose was unable to keep up...it did not drain instantly...but now a true believer...it was cheap..easy and 2 bottles of Blue Moon at your favorite watering hole.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
A jet ski and a boat with a car engine are two completely different machines and a jet ski doesn't have a rubber impeller- it has a metal one.

If you crank it for two seconds, you aren't doing much to the impeller. If the impeller was destroyed, something else is going on- does the hour meter show 3 hours, or is that how much time YOU put on it? The factory doesn't do many dry starts- it would be absolutely irresponsible for them to do that and leave it to the dealer to handle this kind of abuse. Did you check the oil cooler, yet?
hi jimn
yeh the boat says 3.5 hours I had been out on it the Friday before last 2days after I picked it up from the dealer.
mmm you got me thinking about the oil cooler.when I got it home I connected it to the hose and had abit of trouble getting the water to flow through it was like the end was blocked .i started it then the water started to come out the back as normal.how do I check the oil cooler
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
hi jimn
yeh the boat says 3.5 hours I had been out on it the Friday before last 2days after I picked it up from the dealer.
mmm you got me thinking about the oil cooler.when I got it home I connected it to the hose and had abit of trouble getting the water to flow through it was like the end was blocked .i started it then the water started to come out the back as normal.how do I check the oil cooler
You remove the hose from the side closest to the hull (from a water flow perspective) and look or feel around for debris. Weeds, sticks, plastic bags, etc can all get in there and if they do, it blocks water from coming through. I have a set of hemostats that I bought at Radio Shack that works great for clearing out the stuff I found. Shop around for a better price.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FYZaMgodkysA4w
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You remove the hose from the side closest to the hull (from a water flow perspective) and look or feel around for debris. Weeds, sticks, plastic bags, etc can all get in there and if they do, it blocks water from coming through. I have a set of hemostats that I bought at Radio Shack that works great for clearing out the stuff I found. Shop around for a better price.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FYZaMgodkysA4w
hemostats? price will probably go up - big demand most likely in Colorado coming up... - sorry for the thread jack
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
hi jimn
Try backflushing as well by running water thru the other side.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
hemostats? price will probably go up - big demand most likely in Colorado coming up... - sorry for the thread jack
Buy several- give them as gifts.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
'nuff said' - good point Jim...
Well, maybe not quite nuff.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Quote:
although I don't know what's available in Australia.
Take is easy, we aren't a third world country!! Haha.

Yeah after using the fake a lake once i don't thing it'll be getting a start ever again!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post
Take is easy, we aren't a third world country!! Haha.

Yeah after using the fake a lake once i don't thing it'll be getting a start ever again!
Even if you were in a third world country, JimN is from Wisconsin (I believe) so he could identify.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com