Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
Slow when refueling

have a 2013 prostar197 that I picked up 2weeks ago when I went to fill it up it took ages it was like the tank was full.i rung the dealer he said it is normal on a new boat it will settle down once the fuel moves around in the tank.went to fill it up today and had the same problem.
anyone got any ideas or have the same problem
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Guessing it's an air lock from sealing the pump nozzle against the fuel filler. Were you using a fuel pump that has the spring loaded shroud around the nozzle?
Most every inboard I've been around is tough to fuel up in some way. Can't have the gas going full force into the tank, burps fuel before the auto shut off on hte pump, etc.
My buddies X15 has dual fuel fillers, one on each side and his is great to fuel up. Crack open the opposite side filler cap and can fuel it up as fast as the pump will go with no fuel burping out.
IMO your dealer is full of crap, "letting the fuel move around in hte tank?", it's not liek the fuel tank has a break in period before it operates correctly. It's normal I think. My old 190 I could only fill about half speed on the pump or it would act the same as yours.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
hey thrall no spring on the bowser I have tried everything holding the nozzle to the left to the right all the way in haleve in and holding it just out but nothing still slow as
Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
have a 2013 prostar197 that I picked up 2weeks ago when I went to fill it up it took ages it was like the tank was full.i rung the dealer he said it is normal on a new boat it will settle down once the fuel moves around in the tank.went to fill it up today and had the same problem.
anyone got any ideas or have the same problem
I have a 1994 and it still acts like that for me. I have to keep the nozzle near the top of the tank and hold it there, then I have to use minimal pressure to get the gas in. A fill up for me takes about double the time compared to my truck. Not sure what your dealer is talking about since my boat is, WOW, 19 years old.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
On our PS214, there are fuel fills on bot the port and starbord side. We remove both caps when fueling. This make the fuel flow much faster.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I can fill my 78 up as fast as the pump will pump. All i have is a fuel vent on the opposite side of the filler.
Is your fuel vent blocked?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I can fill my 78 up as fast as the pump will pump. All i have is a fuel vent on the opposite side of the filler.
Same as my '77.....fill it wide open. I suspect that the new vent are a little more sophisticated as our old versions, but I would definitely check the vent to see if it works.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Could dump the gas in my '96 too (it would still burp at the end if you weren't paying attention), think becasue of the tank vent.
Newer boats, no fuel tank vent, hence the reason the dual fillers work to speed up re-fueling, acts as a vent if you open the opposite cap.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I have a 92 and I have to put the gas nozzle up side down or it acts just like you explained. No other way works but up side down does the trick.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I've learned the hard way with my '07 197--no angle of nozzle entry seems to work and fillups are just a long and sometimes messy process.