Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
X-10...any one make the jump from 750's to the 1,100's?

I have an '03 X-10. Last year I ditched the stock hard tanks in favor of Fat Sac 750's and also added the bow sac to even things out. This made quite a noticable diference in the wake, but I'm finding myself looking for more again.

While I know I'll never get an X-Star wake out of this boat, upgrading the boat is out of the question for the next few years at least. I am, however, considering replacing the 750's in the back with 1,100's and ading another 800lb sac on top of the walk way to the bow. Curious if anybody has gone this far with an X-10, and if so what the reuslts were? Basically trying to figure out if the added expense (not just the bags, but another prop, burning yet more fuel, and additional wear and tear on the boat) is justified by a significantly improved wake over what I currently have with the 750's, and bow sac or if the wake isn't going to improve that much due to hull design limitations.

Thanks - Jason
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
HI Jason
man just wondering im upgrading my ballast from stock to the 2x750 and the 400 in the ski locker. i have the same boat as you. do you have any pics of the wake or what the bags look like in the locker. also had did the bow sack fit? did you upgrade your pumps? just curious not that many x-10 owners on here. thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
TT Regular

I don't have any pics of the bags in the boat, but can tell you the 750 fits perfect on the port side. I used a different 720lb bag on the starboard side as the boot/rinse down tank and sprayer eats up some of the room. I wouldn't go wider than a 20 inch bag without bracing the engine dividers/barriers. If I do the 1100s I'll need to brace the walls quite a bit and won't be able to fill them all the way as the lockers are 22 inches tall.

Im using the original pumps but plan on installing dedicated intakes for each pump to speed up filling.

Front bag fits about perfect but really need another 2-300 lbs up front to get it on plane quicker. You will need a more aggressive prop. I put on a 1479 and it works great.

Wake is considerably taller and steeper than with original tanks but I'd still like to see more out of it. Haven't been behind enough boats to give you a fair comp. All I can tell you is we can get about 5-6th of air with enough time to pull off back rolls and 360s. Just started hitting double ups which got me craving to get the wake cranked up as much as possible.

If I go the 1100 route I may have my rear bags up for grabs if you are interested.

Jason
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
I bought mine this summer but work was crazy this year so I haven't been able to do the project. I don't have the sprayer on mine I'm an 01. Keep me posted on yours I'm interested in seeing what you end up with.
Thanks again for the info though
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarndahl View Post
I bought mine this summer but work was crazy this year so I haven't been able to do the project. I don't have the sprayer on mine I'm an 01. Keep me posted on yours I'm interested in seeing what you end up with.
Thanks again for the info though
So I finally picked up two additional 400lb bags. Made a huge improvement in the quality of the wake by using just one above the center bow walk thru (combined with the 2 750s in the rear, the factory 250 ski locker bag, and the unber seat bow bag) assuming 3 people in boat...if only 2 people in boat i add in the other 400.

Running this we found we had to lengthen the rope another 5ft section to keep from landing in the flats. Also bumped up the speed 0.3 mph. Wake is very firm, steep with a clean lip and just about knee high. Probably added almost an additional foot of air and 3-4 ft in distance with same wake approach and effort. Also the added front weight gets the boat on plane quicker and keeps the wash from surging onto the sundeck/engine covers when stopping to pick up a fallen rider.

Jason
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigster View Post
Im using the original pumps but plan on installing dedicated intakes for each pump to speed up filling.
Did you install dedicated intakes? If so, can you post some pics of the setup. I'm thinking about piggybacking on my hard tanks with 400s in my '03, but the factory ones take forever to fill and I'm not excited about waiting 30-40 minutes to ride.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubstitute View Post
Did you install dedicated intakes? If so, can you post some pics of the setup. I'm thinking about piggybacking on my hard tanks with 400s in my '03, but the factory ones take forever to fill and I'm not excited about waiting 30-40 minutes to ride.
Spent all my time and $$ upgrading stereo components over the winter, so I haven't done that yet...but my stereo system now is comeplet and kicks *** .

Honestly the hard tanks should fill pretty quick. Have you changed out the impellers from black to green? This made a huge improvement on my fill and drain times. With the factory manifold in place I can fill both port & starboard bags simultaneously, but I fill the bow separately before or after. The 750s take about 10mins to fill completely. I'm filling the extra 400's with a portable tsunami pump that plugs into the 12v accessory outlet/cig lighter. It is amazing how fast that little pump fills.

BTW, why don't you just ditch the hard tanks altogether and repalce with 750's?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X10, 350 MCX
Guys I'm really glad you are talking about this! I have an 04 X10 and didn't even think about re-propping after ballast upgrades... I am in Utah though so we have high elevation to worry about. I'll try a few options

Regarding the integrated 750 sacs in the rear lockers and the integrated bow sac, could you post the parts/system components you used (i.e. which bags did you buy) I am about to replace the stock hard tanks with 750s

We had an x9 before and simply upgraded the sac under the rear seat but with an X10 it is a little different so i want to make sure I get the right eqpmt

Thanks very much
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
If you are still ditching your bags, I'd be interested.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSubstitute View Post
I had my factory piggy-backed with some 350# bags. Went with green impellers and changed the hose to 1" from 3/4" all the way to the bag. Made a big difference. I'm now in the process of installing 750s.