Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Ipod/Iphone Docking plug to amp

I would like to hook various Ipods and Iphones from their docking port directly to my amp (No head unit) and be able to use the Ipod/phone controls for everything, including volume. I would also like to have the unit charge while it is plugged in. Does such a cable exist? If not, what is the next best set-up?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Yes, as long as you have only one amp.
You can get an Ipod docking cable (got mine form Car Toys) that has RCA jacks that you could hook into the amp's inputs (typicially hooks into the other source inputs on teh head unit) and it has a 12V +/- wires that you hook up to a 12V source for charging.
If you got more than one amp you'd need to have an EQ or somethin between the Ipod and the amps or if you amps have pass thru inputs you may be able to hook to one amp and use RCA cables to transfer signal formt he pass thru jacks to the other amp(s). May be low on signal voltage if you tried to "split" the Ipod output signal to several amps though, not sure.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
I would like to hook various Ipods and Iphones from their docking port directly to my amp (No head unit) and be able to use the Ipod/phone controls for everything, including volume. I would also like to have the unit charge while it is plugged in. Does such a cable exist? If not, what is the next best set-up?

Thanks.
Would you be interested in a "head unit" that's a housing for an iPod (ANY iPod except the Nano)/iPhone with line out, balance/fader, tone controls, is purpose-built for marine with a rubber O-ring that seals the door (NOT a car stereo with some crap on the circuit board and called 'Marine-Ready') and can be operated using a wired remote? The iPod fits in a sleeve that's made for each model and the head unit comes with a whole set of them.

Look at the Fusion Electronics MS-IP600.
http://www.fusionelectronics.com/mar...eries/MS-IP600

West Marine sells them and will meet online prices.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Would you be interested in a "head unit" that's a housing for an iPod (ANY iPod except the Nano)/iPhone with line out, balance/fader, tone controls, is purpose-built for marine with a rubber O-ring that seals the door (NOT a car stereo with some crap on the circuit board and called 'Marine-Ready') and can be operated using a wired remote? The iPod fits in a sleeve that's made for each model and the head unit comes with a whole set of them.

That would be pretty sweet not having the ipod dangling from the cable floating around somewhere inside the glove box with all the other stuff the family shoves into there. If my head unit ever dies I'll have to keep this in mind.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
I almost bought a Sony unit that had a sealed internal bay for iPod/iPhone, but too many bad user reviews where folks had problems with the iPod/iPhone overheating in the bay and shutting down.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:

I bought the Fusion RA-200. Since I have a closed-bow I keep my ipod under the dash, the 200 doesn't have the built in port, although I could add one if needed.

The unit works awesome. Charges ipod or phone and allows you to view everything on the ipod, including playlists.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Marine+Stereo
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
I bought the Fusion RA-200. Since I have a closed-bow I keep my ipod under the dash, the 200 doesn't have the built in port, although I could add one if needed.

The unit works awesome. Charges ipod or phone and allows you to view everything on the ipod, including playlists.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Marine+Stereo
And, the 200 shows compatibility with both the Ipod and Iphone. I may have to rethink this.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
And, the 200 shows compatibility with both the Ipod and Iphone. I may have to rethink this.
The IP600 and IP700 are compatible with both, too.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
The IP600 and IP700 are compatible with both, too.
That makes sense. I thought it should be, but the web page only showed Ipod compatibility.