Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Prop replacement question--pitch

I lunched my prop on my 2007 PS197 TT which is currently using an OJ XMP 13.7 x 15 pitch.

I have found a good price on the same prop model and diameter but with a 15.5 pitch. My understanding is this will be fine, although hole shot may be slightly weaker. Just asking for any other points of view or caution. Thanks in advance for your response!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
I lunched my prop on my 2007 PS197 TT which is currently using an OJ XMP 13.7 x 15 pitch.

I have found a good price on the same prop model and diameter but with a 15.5 pitch. My understanding is this will be fine, although hole shot may be slightly weaker. Just asking for any other points of view or caution. Thanks in advance for your response!
It would work, but like you said hole shot will suffer just a tad and wot rpm might be less, I would run it as a backup and get the other prop reworked as a primary.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Gotta be an MCX/1.26 slot running that prop with 15" pitch?

Yes, holeshot will be incrementally slower with a larger (pitched) prop. That 1/2" will likely translate to running about 200rpm lower across the band, including at WOT. If the boat is propped correctly as it is, the newer (larger) prop will likely translate to a lower top end speed.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Guys, thanks for the answers. I'm sending my damaged prop to Eric and OJ and hopefully it's a candidate for repair. May pick up the other as a spare as James suggests.