Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Direct Drive vs. I/O Trailer

Need a little advice.

I purchased my boat last year 92 prostar 190, It came on a smaller galvanized I/O trailer. I want to know peoples options on the differences between the I/O and a Direct Drive Trailer?

Does it make a difference? Is the only real difference protection fro the prop and rudder?

Although my current trailer is rated for 2200lbs, I feel it is a bit small for the boat. I have tried to find a Mastercraft trailer to refurb but havn't come up with anything locally, or not for that matter. I have the option to move up to a 3100lbs I/O model for minimal cost, but should bother if I really should be looking for a direct drive trailer?

What are you your thoughts?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Yes, the main difference is the prop guard built into the trailer. Without it, you are extremely vulnerable to damaging your prop, shaft, strut, transmission, and rudder, depending on how hard you hit something. Do yourself a favor, get a trailer with a prop guard.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197TT
I would also be concerned about weight distribution. I f you look at the placement of the axle and tires of a inboard trailer they are typically farther forward right underneath the engine. On a I/O trailer the axle and tire location are farther back again to put them right under the I/O engine. (My 2cents worth)

PREVIOUS BOAT:1993 Prostar 205

Last edited by starman205; 11-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft
True that the newer inboard trailers have guards, but my trailer on my 86 does not. It would not be difficult for a metal fab person to make a guard for the prop/shaft/rudder for little expense. Otherwise, it's just a trailer to get your boat to the water. I guess it depends on how much you trailer. Mine only lives on the trailer in the winter

Michael
'86 Prostar 454 powerslot
'09 X14 MCX Switch
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Also be careful that the trailer will adaquately support the boat. Trailers are designed to each boat such that the bunk boards are in the proper position. So you will most likely have to modify it for your boat. A lot of the online trailer parts stores have hardware that you can use to mount bunks to your trailer frame. You could also try to find a local shop that would weld them on. You can always have a "prop guard" welded on.

Looking at the manual for your 190 it says the weight is 2450 lbs so 2200 is a bit shy. Also the weight listed is typically "dry weight" so by the time you have fuel in the tank and other gear in the boat your are over 2450.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info guys,

the trailer was set up well for the boat, with the axle under the engine, and the bunks well adjusted to support the hull properly.

I agree thou, it is boarderline at best for the weight.

I do trailer quite a bit although it is only about 30 mins one ways down paved roads, and a bit of highway, so it is important that I have a reliable trailer.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Just pray you never have a blow out smh

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Just pray you never have a blow out smh
Never thought of that!!!!!!

I am feeling that the rims might save me but I really want to go and measure now!!!