Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210 with a 454 Chevy Big Block
Need a quick Wakeboard education

I wakeboarded for the first time this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I have been skiing since I was a kid and never really gave wakeboarding much thought. "My bad" Anyhow, please share your knowledge on wakeboards, whats a good board to start out with, what's a good board to work your way toward? What's a board to stay away from? and how does the size of the board figure into the mix. I don't plan on buying one in the next few days, in Maryland the season in pretty much over by the end of September but I will be searching hard this winter.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
There are so many boards out there it is impossible to tell you what to buy. Demo, Demo, Demo.

A couple of things first. Find comfortable bindings. Go to every possible shop and try on every pair that you can. If your feet hurt, or have crappy bindings, it won't matter what board you are on. Also, get a no-stretch rope, one of the most essential pieces of equipment.

Back to boards, as a beginner you generally want to stay away from the Hyperlite Parks, and Hyperlite Byerly. Very different riding boards. I would suggest something with continuous rocker vs. 3 stage. More predicatable pop. Also do some searches on WakeWorld.com, Wakeboarder.com, etc. There are more reviews out there than there are boards. It boils down to personal preference. Some of the most popular are the Hyperlite Premier, Liquid Force Substance, CWB Absolute. I've ridden all of them and prefer the Absolute.

Good luck and remember, DEMO !!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
As a beginner 'boarder, I believe a continuous rocker board is easier to get good on, however, I've been riding a buddy's Hyperlite Parks off and on for 2 years now, and was very inexperienced when I started (no boat/board of my own). I had no problems w/ the 3 stage rocker. The board stuck like glue when cutting w/ the outboard fins. They are pretty spendy, but if you get a good deal on one and plan on getting agressive, they're sweet boards.
I just bought my first board this summer after riding on the "boat board" that the owner threw in when I bought the boat. It's a Liquid Force Omega. I love it. It tracks and cuts really well (not as good as the Parks) and feels good jumping. There are package deals available that are much cheaper than buying separate board and bindings. I got mine from Buywake.com for $400 complete. Also got a Spectra rope (no stretch) and decent handle for $50. Check them out. they have pretty good deals.
Size wise, go with the mfr reccomendations. I'm 6-1, 200lbs and have a 143cm. Way nicer than the 136 I was riding on.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
Good advise above.

I'll say a BIG DITTO to the bindings. Too small or too tight makes for a short session because your feet will start to seriously throb before they go numb. I just switched to LF Super Suctions from an old pair of Hyperlite boots. Night and day.

Familiarize yourself with the latest and greatest boards on the wakeboard sites, then see what you can get in the market. Ebay is a great place to buy new or slightly used boards. Especially if you want to get a board that you can advance on.

Demos are great where you can get them. Just beware of the demo fees some places charge. Some cases nonrefundable, so its like $50 deposit for the demo.....if you don't like the board bring it back and you can spend the $50 somewhere in the store.....either way the money is theirs.

Finally, be sure to get the board for your weight. If the board you get is a bit too big....its not necessarily bad, but might be a bit too long to control. Too small, though and the board could sink....forcing you to go faster to keep it on plane.

Good Luck!!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X2 350MCX
Send a message via ICQ to TalleyHo Send a message via MSN to TalleyHo Send a message via Yahoo to TalleyHo
My $0.02

I'm in intermediate rider w/ a HL Belmont 141 - I'm 6'2 200#. I got my board second hand from Adrenaline Sports (I think). The board was way below retail b/c the monkey at the shop drilled one of the fin holes wrong and had to fill it. It doesn't affect the board at all - just a small blemish in the gfx (like I care). Blem boards are a great way to get a good board for low $$.

I LOVE my LF Alpha bindings -- good, low cost (not cheap) binding. I do however prefer the Hyperlite method of secruing the bindings to the board (claws).

The no stretch rope is a must. Do NOT use a ski rope. The diff is night and day. It sucks to have to pony up $100 for a rope, but well worth the money. The handle can be a kick in the sac too. But, like bindings, you don't really want to skimp on the handle either since you can't really ride if you can't hold on.

Also -- you might try getting a package deal at the boat show near you. There should be lots of stuff for sale at the winter boat shows.

You might try to find a good video as well. I've spent lots of time in front of the tube watching Higher Education. It goes over some of the finer points of edging, jumping, etc...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Leroy

Spend some time at the shops or call on line dealers. Now is actually a good time to buy. Close outs, people buying new and wanting to get rid of their old ride. There are a ton of choices out there that would be good.I have Hyperlite Project 142 that I have had since 02 and I want to get new lace up bindings. Big rubber bands are not good for boots!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
i can easilly say that the Liquid Force Transit bindings are the most combfortable bindings i have ever tried on, even though they are $$$ it is worth it. As for the boar, be sure to get one that goes with your weight.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Good Board

Have i got a board for you. I have a hyperlite byerly 137 with byerly bindings. It is the board i learned on and is still plenty aggressive for any experenced rider. i'm wanting to get rid of it since i'm riding a little smaller board now. Give me a hollar and i can hook u up.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210 with a 454 Chevy Big Block
Phil, thanks for the offer. this past weekend I picked up a Hyperlite State board 130cm. I am only 140 so the size worked for me. End of the season sale. 50% off.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
from what i hear, you will love that state board. The bottom is carved out for fast toeside edge. pretty sweet.