Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well I don't particularly like Tristars, so I think what you're doing will result in an improvement. Seems to me like the engine placement is not ideal for what you're doing but you can't complain with a free boat.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tristar 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronic View Post
Good luck on your project. I have always wanted to pickup an old S&S and put in a center console. My favorite place to ride is on top of the dog house.
I plan to put the leaning post/seat as close as possible to the dog house while keeping the pylon as is. Not exactly sitting right on it, but pretty close.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17013 View Post
, ......and some practical stuff to increase the safety as I will be in some marginal waters with it, and while I am willing to take the occasional beating, I do not have any desire to swamp it.......
Sounds like an interesting project but from the outset, I think the hull/boat design is not favorable for "marginal waters".
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Well I don't particularly like Tristars, so I think what you're doing will result in an improvement. Seems to me like the engine placement is not ideal for what you're doing but you can't complain with a free boat.
Your probably right, it will be a compromise. I am worried less about the motor placement than the lack of deadrise, and freeboard for fishing, but a boat that has what I want there will be not so good for skiing.

Part of the fun is not knowing what you will get. I may be wasting my time, but I think it will be tolerable. If it is terrible, I will start over.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17013 View Post
What was I thinking, I forgot the most important part.

At the slip when I picked it up:

I will take a bunch more before I start.

You cannot see from the photo, but there is not one salvagable square inch of vinyl upholstery on the whole darn thing. Frankly, there is not one piece of foam under the uphostery that is salvagable. The rub rail is pretty bent up on the port side, and there are random gelcoat chips all over. Other than that, it looks just like any other boat that lived in an open slip, and exposed to the elements 100% of the last few years.
Well worth the $1....can't wait for results...and you could always do some boarding when you get tired of fishing...just sayin'
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Well worth the $1....can't wait for results...and you could always do some boarding when you get tired of fishing...just sayin'
Thats the plan. If all I wanted was a fishing boat, this would be about the worst choice.

I do have a question.... I may begin my removing the motor this weekend, and was wondering how well the motor mount brackets are fastened to the stringers? I was thinking about unbolting the steel braces, and just liting the whole thing out because it needs to happen eventualy to get everything cleaned up. There are several bolts on either side that fasten the steel plate down to the stringers, should they come out without a huge struggle? I am guessing they thread into another steel plate embedded in the glass stringers? If anyone has every removed these, could you share your experience. I can unbolt the motor mounts, and remove it that way, but those brackets would be nice to leave on to load it into a trailer, and haul it a few miles to my workshop to get it cleaned up.

I am guessing it will go back together in pieces, but it sure would be nice to pull it as one unit.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Are you going to move the existing side console to the middle, or just replace it with a center console?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
Are you going to move the existing side console to the middle, or just replace it with a center console?
My intial thought was to remove everything seating wise forward of the pylon, and replace with a center console as aft as possible, while still keeping the pylon in place. I think I can make the center console high enough to basicly sit right on top of the pylon while at the helm. In place of the existing bow seating, I want to raise the seating just a little higher so I can add a live well, and bait well. This would also have a panel that drops in between the seats to form a casting platform when in fishing mode.

I am still trying to figure out all the details, but this is my rough plan so far. It will be a fair amount of fiberglass work, but I plan to eliminate the upholstered seat cushions to keep it utilitarian, so effort wise it is almost a wash. If it takes longer than expected, the bow seating stuff is my last priority so it may just stay as is if I get bogged down. At the end of the day, I will probably make it up as I go, so who knows?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Since you will have no use for the pylon, you should remove it and and get it out of the way. You could probably sell it, as it may be the most valuable part of the boat!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
See, I told you you'd find an enthusiastic response here on TT. Glad to see you're sharing your dream. Use the "Search" feature and you'll find many helpful threads that directly or sometimes indirectly address your project questions. Also, I find that Google searches are sometime even more effective than using the Search feature here. For example, Google "Teamtalk Mastercraft Tristar" -- you'll have lots to read. This thread is even there!