Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Border crossing at Niagra

Heading up to Toronto next month for a car show and driving event at Mosport, hoping that I might get some information from our members that cross the border fairly regularly.

1) Will I get hassled if I bring a couple of cases of beer over the border and about 15 gallons of gas in cans for use at the track?
2) was planning on crossing around noon time on the 3rd of August, any idea of what kind of wait time to get through border, planning on being at the hotel on York Mills Rd in Toronto by 2pm at latest?

Google has me going up I95 to 26 then 77 to 79 through Pittsburg and then to the north along the lake. Never driven these roads, will be pulling a tandem axle trailer with my car on the back so any travel advice will also be appreciated?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give
Old 07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
1. You are allowed up to so many cases of beer. When I cross today I will let you know. Staying the weekend I assume?

2. Fuel is not to be transported over the bridge. That being said, this is an issue with the company/body that maintains the bridge. The issue here is you get rear ended with your jerry cans in the trunk. Now a bad mess just got a whole lot ****ing worse. Border Patrol doesn't specifically enforce this, but they will give you **** if they want. I do it a few times a month and just always declare it.

Comming into Canada. Here is what they are worried about
1. Guns. Weapons (including mace apparently)
2. Taxables. They want to make money on you. Remember everything is for you.

What car are you bringing down? Is it a trailered car?
Are you going to the big track? or the small track outside of reserve with the drag strip?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-2
3. DUI's, if you got one, you don't get into Canada. Most people don't know about that rule.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
oh ya, best to not have anything on your record or your probably not getting in. the same thing goes for entering the USA
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
From Canada Border Services Agency website...

Beer is allowed, 1 case per adult.

Beer or Ale
Up to 8.5 litres (metric), Up to 287 fluid ounces (imperial), Approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale. (estimated)

You will want to bring what you can based on amount of people. Even people that don't drink bring a case. It gets REALLY expensive in Canada...lol. I was there a few years ago and we ended up at the LCBO getting Molson Canadian for $48.50 for 28.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjracin240 View Post
Heading up to Toronto next month for a car show and driving event at Mosport, hoping that I might get some information from our members that cross the border fairly regularly.

1) Will I get hassled if I bring a couple of cases of beer over the border and about 15 gallons of gas in cans for use at the track?
2) was planning on crossing around noon time on the 3rd of August, any idea of what kind of wait time to get through border, planning on being at the hotel on York Mills Rd in Toronto by 2pm at latest?

Google has me going up I95 to 26 then 77 to 79 through Pittsburg and then to the north along the lake. Never driven these roads, will be pulling a tandem axle trailer with my car on the back so any travel advice will also be appreciated?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give
Crossing in Niagara at noon on a Wednesday, shouldn't be too busy - it's a smaller crossing. Lunch time is a good time to travel from there to Toronto as well. You will hit some traffic but shouldn't be too bad unless an accident but 2 pm may be tight.

I'd recommend listening to AM station 680 on your way from Niagara to Toronto to get up to date traffic, updates every 11 minutes (7:11, 7:21, etc.).

IF you are going to purchase beer here, buy it at the Beer Store (yes, straight to the point!), NOT the LCBO

Mosport is 10 minutes from me, always a good time - enjoy!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
oh ya, best to not have anything on your record or your probably not getting in. the same thing goes for entering the USA
LMAO unless you are coming from the 3rd world then there are no rules....
Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stipes
1 case/person

I usually cross with 10 gallons of extra gas for the fishing boat... i declare it no issues.