Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
2-cycle engine troubleshoot

The patient: 1982 AMF Harley Davidson golf cart. Started running like crap last year. Finally took the carb off a couple months ago, took completely apart, put it back together and was running great. Couple weeks back it died, which is to say it acted like it stopped getting fuel. Tore into it tonight and pulled carb again. It appears to be clean, bowl free of debris, fuel pump working properly, still no fire when I try to start it. Pulled plug wire inserted screw driver and I have spark. Checked gap on points and on plug; adjusted points, adjusted plug then noticed something unique. If I take the screwdriver and stuff it in the cap and then hold it next to the top of the spark plug....it fires and runs......so, bad plug? Need 3 things, fuel, air, spark. Check, check, and modified check.

Any ideas?

"It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking" - Ron Paul
Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Plug is still in play when you use the screwdriver. Sounds like new plug wire/cap to me.

Please tell me this cart is a trike lol
Old 07-12-2016, 10:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
Did you pull out the emulsion tube in the stem of the carb? The tube has tiny holes that you'll need to clear out with mechanic's wire. If they are blocked - game over.

Does it run on carb cleaner when you shoot in the carb throat? If yes, your problem is fuel. If you've cleaned the carb and didn't pull the tube. I'd go after the tube.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Plug is still in play when you use the screwdriver. Sounds like new plug wire/cap to me.

Please tell me this cart is a trike lol
Oh yea baby, trike WITH tiller handle steering!

"It is no coincidence that the century of total war coincided with the century of central banking" - Ron Paul
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Did you pull out the emulsion tube in the stem of the carb? The tube has tiny holes that you'll need to clear out with mechanic's wire. If they are blocked - game over.

Does it run on carb cleaner when you shoot in the carb throat? If yes, your problem is fuel. If you've cleaned the carb and didn't pull the tube. I'd go after the tube.
The tube from the bowl to the throat of the carb is clear, you can see through it. The plug of the bowl appeared to have something in it so I blew it out, but made no difference to getting it to fire. Only thing that made difference was screwdriver trick.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:49 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
The tube from the bowl to the throat of the carb is clear, you can see through it. The plug of the bowl appeared to have something in it so I blew it out, but made no difference to getting it to fire. Only thing that made difference was screwdriver trick.
You can see through it end to end. But are the tiny holes in the sidewall of the tube clear? A shot of carb cleaner into the carb will tell the whole tale of where to look for your trouble.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
You can see through it end to end. But are the tiny holes in the sidewall of the tube clear? A shot of carb cleaner into the carb will tell the whole tale of where to look for your trouble.
I'll shoot some in tomorrow and see what I get. Is that the tube from the bowl to the body of the carb that is removed via screwdriver?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
I'll shoot some in tomorrow and see what I get. Is that the tube from the bowl to the body of the carb that is removed via screwdriver?
Yes, usually a narrow regular screwdriver to remove the tube. a few of them are 2 pieces. Just crank and shoot at the same time. If she fires, go after that tube.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Before you go removing the emulsion tube make sure the screw driver you are using is a perfect fit. Better yet. Get the screw driver you hit with a hammer and it rotates to remove it. An impact screw driver? ( I've been Drinking). Do not try to remove it unless you have a perfect fitting screwdriver, inpact one is even better. It will chip or round and then you are screwed. Ask me how I know. It's how I ruined a really nice Honda carb. this winter. Good enough it wasn't.

Google emulsion tube so you understand what you are looking at and cleaning. a shot of carb cleaner will not do the trick. I think that jut works on Briggs motors lol.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Before you go removing the emulsion tube make sure the screw driver you are using is a perfect fit. Better yet. Get the screw driver you hit with a hammer and it rotates to remove it. An impact screw driver? ( I've been Drinking). Do not try to remove it unless you have a perfect fitting screwdriver, inpact one is even better. It will chip or round and then you are screwed. Ask me how I know. It's how I ruined a really nice Honda carb. this winter. Good enough it wasn't.

Google emulsion tube so you understand what you are looking at and cleaning. a shot of carb cleaner will not do the trick. I think that jut works on Briggs motors lol.
Never, ever waste your time rebuilding a Honda lawnmower carb. They are only $17.50 bran new. But yes, use a narrow screwdriver or you'll trash the threads. Carb cleaner alone will not clear the tube on any of these small engines. Briggs, just say no.