Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
DIY guys, what do you not DIY, and what do you

This thread idea is from another thread. Like the title says...

I do all my own automotive work, but a few things I generally do not touch are
- Tire mounting and balancing
- Alignments
- Any machining work outside of simple fabrication like brackets and welding
- Body work, I try to avoid like the plague. I wont buy a project that requires body work

Big project's ive done include
- All new supply plumbing to my house
- Re-shingled my whole roof (Would not tackle certain roofs that have many valleys or complex flashing. I had a 4-hip).
- Rewired an entire house
- Dishwasher install (little bit of plumbing, carpentry and electrical. Did you know these things are supposed to be on their own breaker by code?)
- Bathroom remodel with some nice tiles (done 3 years ago, no cracked tiles yet and its in a rental)

Big projects coming up
- Repairing every joint in my gutters. they all leak. And new anchors. They are all pulled away.
- Rebuilding my chimney. Have 2 water heaters vented to it with no liner...so it crumbled over the years.
- Fence building

So for you DIY guys out there, what do you avoid? Whats some thigns you've done? What have you learned?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I avoid electrical work. I'll do carpentry, plumbing etc though.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
I'll do anything electrical including wiring from the mast head &meter base, home automation and a/v. Can do finish carpentry but get more satisfaction from framing. Can install any plumbing fixture and appliance, but I avoid installing kitchen cabinets, granite. Don't like forming or pouring concrete. My tiling is just not as good as the pro's.

I've replaced timing belts on two cars, rads, water pumps, alternators. Don't like body work-but did get some satisfaction from fixing a rental car scratch with some white-out.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I generally do everything unless there are expensive specialized tools required that I will never use again. If the cost of the tool(s) is less than the labor for the job then I buy the tool.

I try to never compare what my hourly rate is at my day job to what I'd have to pay to get a job done. 1) I work on salary with no overtime 2) Even if I could get overtime I couldn't do my day job every waking hour of the day or I'd burn out so I might as well effectively make some money doing other work for myself 3) most companies offering vehicle and homeowner services have so much overhead to cover that the hourly rate I'd pay for just about anything is more than I make at the office anyway.

So, yes I probably don't save any money changing my own oil in the cars but it's faster (vs. driving to an oil change place, waiting for them to do it, then driving home) and I know it's done right (been changing oil for about 20 years now). On most other stuff is just so absurdly expensive per hour that I'd be paying more than I make in an hour at a professional job with a 4 year degree. Lawn maintenance around here goes for around $50+/hr, auto shop labor at $70+, boat shop labor at $100++. I can only afford to have toys if I don't pay out of pocket for that kinda crap.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Oh, one thing that I've repeatedly failed at over the years is window tinting. It drives me absolutely nuts that some meth head eminem lookalike kid with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (and obviously years of experience) can do a perfect job and mine will be full of dust and creases. Every few years I talk myself into trying it again and I always regret it afterwards.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Oh Ive never tried window tinting. My thinking is this. I keep my cars forever, and the place I got my windows tinted has been around forever. They also offer lifetime warranty on tints to the original owner.

I KNOW if I do it, there will be bubbles which will drive me nuts, and chances are bubbles will develop overtime in a professional install. Id want to be able to complain and get it fixed for free in that case. So I just paid the extra and got it done by the pros. Never regretted it.

Now my roofing project. I went into it with that mentality. "Honey, have you seen these guys that roof? They are crackheads. I GOT THIS!!!". IT was a b*tch to do, but its done now. I will do it again if the roof is easy.