Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
Question on Travel Trailer

My Finance and I have been camping with her family a lot over the past 5 years and have started to seriously consider buying our own travel trailer and then take it on a trip for our honeymoon this October.
I am starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the different brands and styles. We have got it narrowed down to a bunk house travel trailer that is less than 30' Long.
Are there any brands or styles that you would all suggest we look at or stay away from? Basically I don't want to buy the Bayliner of travel trailers lol.
So far we have looked at a lot of Dutchman brand Aerolite travel trailers. Again, I have no idea as to the quality of this trailer other than we liked it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgboyd25 View Post
My Finance and I have been camping with her family a lot over the past 5 years and have started to seriously consider buying our own travel trailer and then take it on a trip for our honeymoon this October.
I am starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the different brands and styles. We have got it narrowed down to a bunk house travel trailer that is less than 30' Long.
Are there any brands or styles that you would all suggest we look at or stay away from? Basically I don't want to buy the Bayliner of travel trailers lol.
So far we have looked at a lot of Dutchman brand Aerolite travel trailers. Again, I have no idea as to the quality of this trailer other than we liked it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
I owned an Aerolite several years ago and never had any issues with it.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
The only one I can speak to, is the Sunnybrook. My dad bought one 20 years ago and the first trip was a 6 month trip to Alaska. It still looks great to this day. I just searched for them though and it looks like they were bought by Winnebago in 2010.

You might be able to get some good feedback on a RV forum.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php

Good luck in your search.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I have a 28' Sportsmen with slide that we have been pleased with.

a couple of questions for you.

what do you plan on using as a tow vehicle?

what distance do you plan on towing?

how many people do you plan on regularly having camp with you in your trailer?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft BF 200 Yamaha 200
We now have a Gulfstream and I have been very happy with it. It is very nice- but yet not the best thing out there. Every brand has there Bayline models it seems. You can upgrade from there. Ours is a 26 ft bunkhouse with a slide. We wanted a solid wall this time between the bedroom and the living area. We stay at the camper 3 plus nights a week so we can be at the lake. That said our 4 year old goes to bed in our bed so we can close the door and we can still watch TV or clean up- etc in the main part of the camper. Both of our campers have been bunkhouse and I would never go back to the fabric wall that splits them up!!
Our hot water heater on this one is LP & electric. We normally keep it on LP to use the electric for AC and Microwave as if everything is running it is a big load. That said- if you run both the LP and electric on the hot water heater you get a little longer shower as it recovers that much faster!!
Make sure to get duct AC- not sure how new or old you are looking but our first camper had duct AC and my inlaws didn't. You could sit in the kitchen and be cold as hell and walk in the back to the bedroom and be sweating!

Just my 2 cents-

Good luck and post pictures!!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Current: 2014 PROSTAR 214v ~ Former: 2010 X14v | 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
We have owned several Travel Trailers over the last few years. The Outdoors RV 27DBHS was one of my favorite: http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/creek-side-27dbhs/

Outdoors RV also owns Arctic Fox for reference. IMO they build one of the best constructed trailers in the business and designed for outdoor enthusiasts.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Mark, I've owned 3 TTs and a class C in the last 5 yrs. my feeling is that brand isn't as important as content and build quality. My current is a 27' bunkhouse. When you come down to the river I can show it to you. It's a lower quality one.

The higher content and better build the heavier pull, and they tow quite differently than a boat.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Boat: 06 X30
We have a 24 Gulf Stream Ameri Lite no slides. It is the bayliner of the Gulf Stream brands.

With that said I'll say it's still a nice little trailer. It's just the 3 of us so it's fine. If/when we buy another I'd probably go with a 26 footer with a slide. We've got a mini frig and custom grill now but I'd like an outdoor kitchenet.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
I have a 28' Sportsmen with slide that we have been pleased with.

a couple of questions for you.

what do you plan on using as a tow vehicle?

what distance do you plan on towing?

how many people do you plan on regularly having camp with you in your trailer?

I plan on towing with my 2015 3.5 ecoboost. I think with my rear end it is supposed to max out at 10,800 pounds. The trailers we have been looking at are around 6,000 so I'm guessing we shouldn't have any problems

We plan to take one large trip a year. I think we may go from Ohio (where we live) down to Savannah Georgia for our honeymoon. Then about 2 trips a month in the summer to locations 45 minutes to 2 hours away.

I would guess it would normally just be us two with friends every now and then. I was thinking a bunkhouse would be nice to plan for kids and if we take to a Nascar race with some buddies.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
We now have a Gulfstream and I have been very happy with it. It is very nice- but yet not the best thing out there. Every brand has there Bayline models it seems. You can upgrade from there. Ours is a 26 ft bunkhouse with a slide. We wanted a solid wall this time between the bedroom and the living area. We stay at the camper 3 plus nights a week so we can be at the lake. That said our 4 year old goes to bed in our bed so we can close the door and we can still watch TV or clean up- etc in the main part of the camper. Both of our campers have been bunkhouse and I would never go back to the fabric wall that splits them up!!
Our hot water heater on this one is LP & electric. We normally keep it on LP to use the electric for AC and Microwave as if everything is running it is a big load. That said- if you run both the LP and electric on the hot water heater you get a little longer shower as it recovers that much faster!!
Make sure to get duct AC- not sure how new or old you are looking but our first camper had duct AC and my inlaws didn't. You could sit in the kitchen and be cold as hell and walk in the back to the bedroom and be sweating!

Good luck and post pictures!!
Thanks for the details on the Propane vs electric as well as the Duct AC. These are the questions I don't know to ask about while we are looking.
Just my 2 cents-