Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 205, 1992, 351
Boat Cover Advice

Unfortunately I find myself having to replace the Sharkskin boat cover on my 92 Pro Star 205. It's less that 3 years old and every seam (side to side), except one, has come completely unstitched.

It's frustrating and I'm seriously looking at other manufacturers as I've contacted Ski Dim and through them Westland Marine. While they, Westland Marine, are more than willing to sell me a new cover, I have serious concerns as there is no reason the seams should have all come apart. My other concern is that Westland has a different part number for the 1992 205 Pro Star as compared to the 1993+. The cover for the 92 part number never really fit well, the reinforcement for the windshield was at least 3-5 inches below where it should have been. According to what I can find the 92 and 93 hulls were the same and they can't explain why a different part number.

So, I'm looking into other manufacturers and looking for advice, testimonials, etc. I've been looking at the Taylor Made Hot Shot and Ultima fabrics specifically. Any others I should consider?

Thank you.

Last edited by MatthewStokes; 10-30-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStokes View Post
Unfortunately I find myself having to replace the Sharkskin boat cover on my 92 Pro Star 205. It's less that 3 years old and every seam (side to side), except one, has come completely unstitched.

It's frustrating and I'm seriously looking at other manufacturers as I've contacted Ski Dim and through them Westland Marine. While they, Westland Marine, are more than willing to sell me a new cover, I have serious concerns as there is no reason the seams should have all come apart. My other concern is that Westland has a different part number for the 1992 205 Pro Star as compared to the 1993+. The cover for the 92 part number never really fit well, the reinforcement for the windshield was at least 3-5 inches below where it should have been. According to what I can find the 92 and 93 hulls were the same and they can't explain why a different part number.

So, I'm looking into other manufacturers and looking for advice, testimonials, etc. I've been looking at the Taylor Made Hot Shot and Ultima fabrics specifically. Any others I should consider?

Thank you.
I do believe that sharkskin has a 3yr, 5yr and 7yr warranty that is prorated,

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Sunbrella cover from www.Skiboatcovers.com , its a lot of $$, but would likely be the last cover you'll ever need.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts-20 View Post
Sunbrella cover from www.Skiboatcovers.com , its a lot of $$, but would likely be the last cover you'll ever need.
Ditto. And they now offer an upgrade to Gore thread which will outlast the Sunbrella. My cover from them spent 3 years outside and still looked like new.

And look no farther than Sunbrella fabric. Its the best out there for boat covers. Lasts in the sun, waterproof and maybe most importantly breathable.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'll also add my recommendation to skiboatcovers.com and Sunbrella. Ton of cash but in this case you get what you pay for. If you plan on keeping the boat pay the money and buy a good cover. My first cover from this shop was 7 years old when I sold the boat and still in very good condition. When I got my new boat I ditched the black cover that came with it and order a new one from skiboatcovers.com.

Interesting side bar.... My dealer sells covers from them as an upgrade to the black form fitting covers from MC. Those black covers look nice but that's about it. They leak water by the bucket and leave stains on the cushions.