Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Find A Pull / Give a Pull

Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
Lake Tulloch is only good in early mornings or early season/late season. Past 9-10 o'clock in peak season it gets too rough for good slalom ski runs, and past 12 it's pretty hard to wakeboard as well. 2-3 o'clock is a nightmare, you've usually got at least 3-5 boats in the same area at the same time, since it's such a small lake. Also, there are houses right on the lake, so lots of families that don't know anything about boating. There's a small cove that's good for wakeboarding/skiing, since the wakes dissipate really fast, but tubers seem to love going in there and do S-turns and whatnot. They never seem to go out into the open part of the lake. Crazy jet skiiers as well, cutting in front of boats, and going the wrong way. Lots of drivers there do power turns all the time as well, as well as lots of wakesurfers.

Don Pedro (from what I've heard from one of our neighbors that occasionally goes there) is good for skiing up until 12-2. It's a lot more open, and there are less people. I guess everyone went from Don Pedro to Tulloch because you could actually buy houses that are on the lake at Lake Tulloch.
It's a lucky day that skiing/boarding is still good at 12 noon. Typically by 10am (or not much there after) the tubers are out in force. Early mornings and early evenings are the way.

Do you know any lakes that don't become unusable by the middle of the day?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 prostar 190 454
Thanks everyone! I'm in the south bay(Santa Clara) for now, commuting to fremont. I moved in with family until things settle at work and I actually have time to look at other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Berressa lake has a ski club & cove dedicated for skiing and a not too far out of the bay area.

Mn may have more lakes but you will probably get twice the ski season length here vs. there- may through october!
Actually, May-Oct is about right for MN. I've never used a dry suit btw. I am very supprised locals refer to a "ski season" here! 50 degrees is no biggie IMO especially if you got a dry suit.

Thanks again, I'll be looking into all of your suggestions.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89BigBlock View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm in the south bay(Santa Clara) for now, commuting to fremont. I moved in with family until things settle at work and I actually have time to look at other areas.

Actually, May-Oct is about right for MN. I've never used a dry suit btw. I am very supprised locals refer to a "ski season" here! 50 degrees is no biggie IMO especially if you got a dry suit.

Thanks again, I'll be looking into all of your suggestions.
One of the fun things of the area is the weather. There are times of year that on the highway you see surf boards (and boats) going one direction and skis/snowboards going the other.

Another is the summer weather. Hardly a reason to check the weather report. When going to the lakes, hot/sunny is a given.

Simply put, we are spoiled by the weather.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-star 330 hp 5.7L LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
It's a lucky day that skiing/boarding is still good at 12 noon. Typically by 10am (or not much there after) the tubers are out in force. Early mornings and early evenings are the way.

Do you know any lakes that don't become unusable by the middle of the day?
After September, people literally stopped going to Lake Tulloch. I'm at my university in SoCal at the moment, but my parents tell me that the water is perfectly flat all day long. So early/late season is best for all day runs. In fact, this past weekend they told me they only encountered one boat on the entire lake the entire day, and that boat pulled up after ~20-30 minutes. Lake Tulloch is small, to give you a sense of how big it is, at wakeboarding speeds, it only takes 15-20 minutes to cross from one end of the main area to the other.

As I stated, one of our friends at Lake Tulloch went to Don Pedro with his buddies on Labor Day weekend. He said that they hardly encountered any boats, and were still slalom skiing at 2.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
After September, people literally stopped going ...
Honestly, Sept and Oct are the two best months of the year around here for boating. Many times you still have 90's in Sept, water is still warm and the crowds are gone.

I was out on the Delta yesterday. 74 degrees air; 67 degrees water. Wind was a bit high so the water had some good ripples going. But nothing like trying to board through chop on a busy lake. Just had to stick with the sections what were not straight up and down with the wind direction and had good water. Did not use a wet suit but after the third 30 minute set I could tell my core body temperature had dropped.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 prostar 190 454
Ok, this news is encouraging! Looks like I need to take a look at the East Bay for residence. Any slalom skiers need a driver for more water time? Not sure if I'll be transporting my boat out in the Spring. 1700 miles is a long way to tow a boat not to mention expensive!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
> There are times of year that on the highway you see surf boards (and boats) going one direction and skis/snowboards going the other.

skis/snowboards -- speaking of which, Squaw Valley has moved up their opening day to Nov 16 (from Dec 7).
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maristardd View Post
> There are times of year that on the highway you see surf boards (and boats) going one direction and skis/snowboards going the other.

skis/snowboards -- speaking of which, Squaw Valley has moved up their opening day to Nov 16 (from Dec 7).
Boreal is already open. Almost considered going on Sunday. But I grew up in the northeast and had enough of crappy ski conditions to last me a life time.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
As noted, Shasta is a great place, but a couple hours north of SF. The Shasta Lake houseboating thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=45517
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-star 330 hp 5.7L LTR
Just went skiing at Don Pedro this past weekend. Weather was a little chilly, but the water was as smooth as glass, there was no boats, and you can run in a straight line for more than 20 minutes.

Would have went to Tulloch Lake, but the water level was too low for the launch ramp.