Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
when trying to pivot the tounge and back up thats tough on the hitch.
If your hitch can handle the stress of hauling 5000 lbs down the road at 70 mph it's more than strong enough to handle backing into your garage.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
If your hitch can handle the stress of hauling 5000 lbs down the road at 70 mph it's more than strong enough to handle backing into your garage.
Guessin' he meant the hitch on the lawn mower not the boat.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I ran into the same problem when getting our 190 into the house garage this weekend.

I removed the rear wheels on our tandem and the trailer weight was unstable. Seemed more back heavy than anything so I put the rear tires back on and removed one of the front tires just to see if that would work better but the front axle came down all the way to the floor due to the motor weight.

So I bought 4 skate plates off of amazon and will put these under the tires after we get the boat in the garage. They are rated for 6,000 lbs so they should work pretty good.
If you are just doing this to put in the garage for the winter only, use ratcheting straps and ratchet up the axle for clearance. Too much work otherwise.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you are just doing this to put in the garage for the winter only, use ratcheting straps and ratchet up the axle for clearance. Too much work otherwise.
Yes, agree.

I did get the skate plates yesterday and assembled them and put them under the wheels. They work really well.

I would not suggest getting any that have a load rating under 6,000 lbs. The boat was easy to move around but we have grooves in our garage floow to prevent the concrete from cracking and also for drainage so that makes the moving a little bit of a pain but other, they worked well.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Yes, agree.

I did get the skate plates yesterday and assembled them and put them under the wheels. They work really well.

I would not suggest getting any that have a load rating under 6,000 lbs. The boat was easy to move around but we have grooves in our garage floow to prevent the concrete from cracking and also for drainage so that makes the moving a little bit of a pain but other, they worked well.
Sounds like the same difficulties in moving a snowmobile on dollies. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
MC Maniac

I have to check if I lower the tongue down all the way on a floor jack and take the weight off of the front of the boat entirely, if I can move the boat without the skate plates.

When I cranked the wheel on the tongue down all the way, the weight did not come off of the back tires like on most of the newer trailers.

Time for a bigger garage!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
No kidding - do I ever need a bigger garage. Where I keep my boat in the winter requires the front hitch on my truck to make the corner then onto the wheel dollies for the final push over to the side. I use the same dollies but can usually find them at Harbor Freight for $40-$50 a pair with a super coupon since I collapse a set each year. They are rated at 3000 lbs. a pair. The wheel dollies just don't want to roll on the smooth concrete and then they usually fold over or collapse. In the spring at least two of the dollies are just dragging along as we push the boat inch by inch. The price we pay for cheap winter storage and a 45 just weights too much.
Did I say I need a nice new big garage???
Old 10-26-2012, 06:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:

When I cranked the wheel on the tongue down all the way, the weight did not come off of the back tires like on most of the newer trailers.

Time for a bigger garage!
First crank the jack all the way up so the weight is on the rear wheels, then use ratchet straps from the axel to the frame to hold it there, then lower the front. I've used this method to change a tire without a jack.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
I removed the rear set of wheels to put my boat in the garage this year. It was MUCH easier than last year when I left all 4 wheels on. I used trailer dolly like the one in the pic below. I think if I pulled the front wheels, the weight on the tounge would have made it hard to use the dolly.
Name:  image_18655.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  35.0 KB

I have single doors on our 2 car side load garage. I did get the back end of the boat started in the door with the tow vehicle and help from a spotter (wife), but I have to discconnect the truck and finish by pushing it.

Has anyone used or heard any good or bad about the Park-it 360? Sounds like I could leave all the wheels on and put the boat in the garage very easily. It's not cheap, but I could do it with no help, no pushing, and no frustration.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
MC Maniac

I moved our 190 around the garage today and tried to fix the driver side running lights on the trailer but no success. I check all the connections on the trailer, sanded down all the areas on the trailer where the grounds connect, got new marker lights and checked all the fuses on the truck. Passenger side marker lights work, all brake lights work and all directionals work but no driver side marker lights...save that one for another day.

But I did find out that the 190 will fit in the garage with my wife's truck if we get the tongue cut and install the fold-away! So that gets moved up to the top of the priority list fast!