Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS 1995 5.7L
95 Maristar 200

All,

I recently purchased a 95 Maristar 200 VRS.... boat lover forever but my first inboard... the previous owner had lost all manuals, etc.... I down loaded the pdf file from MC but have some rudimentary questions.... What engine is in this boat? The pdf manual says GM 350... there is an engine stamp on they impeller access that says Indemar..... does the raw water pickup cool the transmission enroute to the impeller/ engine block.... what is the best way to drain the engine oil... via the drain line thru the hull drain or pump out as done on my I/O.... anybody have a wiring diagram?... the auto bilge pump wasn't working.... I have replaced/repaired it but at some point the wiring was redone and replaced by same color wiring.... the rub rail needs replacing... best source for it?... decals, too.... gel coat needs attention... wet sand or rubbing compound?.... the interior is okay.. but carpet needs redone.... is that a job for a professional?
I feel like a dunce for asking these questions but I got the boat for a great price.... it runs real strong... and am anxious to get it back to its rightful glory. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the site. I think you'll find the members very knowledgeable and helpful.

You have a whole laundry list of questions many which have been addressed before in lengthy threads with step by step instructions typically with pictures of the process. I would suggest using the search feature to find the detailed answers you're looking for. Another suggestion would be to add pictures to your post whenever possible. We seem to get more interested in a question or post when we have a visual image.

I'll try and pick off some of your easier questions.....

What engine is in this boat? - Without a picture it would be impossible to determine which engine. The prevalent engine for that boat was the 350 Chevy. I'd need to see the engine to tell you which version of that engine you have. Indmar is the company that modified the engine for marine duty.

Does the raw water pickup cool the transmission enroute to the impeller/ engine block - Yes. You have a through hull pickup on the bottom of the boat. A hose is connected to the through hull which is routed to the trans cooler then to the raw water pump on the engine.

What is the best way to drain the engine oil - You'll get debate on this one. Most people will agree to warm up the engine then either use a suction pump through the dip stick or the drain tube attached to the oil pan to remove the oil. I had the same model boat you currently own. What worked best for me was to use a suction pump in the drain tube. You'll get the benefit of gravity to help the suction pump.

anybody have a wiring diagram?... the auto bilge pump wasn't working.... I have replaced/repaired it but at some point the wiring was redone and replaced by same color wiring - Can't help with a wiring diagram but that circuit should be pretty straight forward. Maybe someone will come along with a source for that one or try doing a search on the site.

Decals - There are several dealers that frequent this site that can help with original stock decals. The trouble you'll find though with these are that they don't age well. Your boat is close to 20 years old. A lot of original stock decals are going to be bad by now. I know one of our members has a library of decals for various boats. Most people (including myself) have used local sign companies to make replacement decals or have updated their graphics to newer version still available at their local dealer.

carpet needs redone.... is that a job for a professional? - That boat would be difficult to put new carpet in. Unless you're very good with this type of work I would recommend having it done. You can find quite a few posts on the site of people doing this. The effort/skill required will depend on the method and type of replacement you do. If you want a full on carpet replacement you'll most likely have to split the deck from the hull to get the carpet under the seat bases. Another option would be to cut the carpet out of the area you want replaced, create a template and replace just that section. The later would most likely be the only cost effect way to go.

gel coat needs attention... wet sand or rubbing compound? - Typically a combination of both depending on condition of the gel coat. Here again you will find a ton of "how to" posts from other members restoration projects.

I know these are general answers buy hopefully they'll help get you started in the right direction. When you get started on one of the projects post up some pictures and narrow down your questions. You'll get all the help you'll need from the members here to get you going.

Congratulations on your new boat and again welcome to the site!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
First off, welcome to TT! Please post some pics, as the members around here LOVE pics..Several will be along to answer you questions. There should be a complete manual online for your exact boat that will answer several of your inquiries...
Old 12-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Welcome to TT - Most of your questions probably already answered here so some searching would be in order.

Regarding your engine - if it does not say Corvette - it's a 350 TBI 275 HP.

Regarding anybody have a wiring diagram?... the auto bilge pump wasn't working.... I have replaced/repaired it but at some point the wiring was redone and replaced by same color wiring

The float switch may be bad - easy to test with a volt meter.

Regarding refurbing and restoration - lots to read in that thread with lots of pictures -- including carpeting and gel coat restoration...

enjoy your boat - TRAXXX here has that very boat and added some very nice upgrades..

Left to Right - Traxxx's 95, my 95 Prostrar and Too_talls 2002 X2
Attached Images