Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Transmission Rattle

I have read a few threads on the Hurth Transmission rattling and MC sending out a Service Bulletin about it to change to motor oil, but I wanted to see if this video is similar to what is being discussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a-Q4NQY3kY
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
That doesn't sound good. I'd freak out too if I heard a noise like that. Hopefully the fluid is your issue.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Fanatic

I am not freaking out yet, bc others have had what seems to be a similar issue as this is only shifting into fwd or reverse barely above idle speed. When at speed, there is no rattle. BTW, I had to take about half a dozen videos before my four yr old and 18 mo old were quiet enough and that is what I ended up with.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
I have that sound in my boat. I do have motor oil instead of transmission fluid. I am not sure what I think is the problem. I am going to get the alignment checked this winter when I slow down skiing. But I have also had sounds much worse than that. I'll keep watching to see if you get any resolution before me and will inform if I figure it out.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Woodrow, I plan on changing the transmission fluid, but do not really plan to do much more unless it is highly suggested that I do. I may run the video by Rambo to see what they think too.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004 mcx
I had a transmission rattle on a hurth 45c which was there at neutral and at idle in gear both ways..it disappeared at just off idle ..I read this was normal in some boxes but didn't happen in all of them ..I decided to swap transmissions to a second hand borg warner 71c.. this by and large cured it apart from a slightly irritating knock /rattle at idle in forward only.. which was loads better than the hurth. a few weeks later I needed to remove my lpg mixer and I noticed it had been leaking between it and the inlet manifold. I sealed this up and refitted ..,now it seems the rattle I had left has 90% gone it definitely idles better in gear ..its now idling quietly at 550 rpm in gear which it always rattled at before? there is lots of writings around saying the idle quality of the engine can cause a low speed rattle. but in my case I never thought it was the problem ..ive only used it twice since this repair but im loads happier with it already ..so I can only assume this air leak was contributing to the slightly unstable idle, although by no means was it running badly? it just had an intermittent tendency to hold a slightly higher idle speed. it pulled like a train and showed no symptoms of being weak at all, so maybe the writings about unstable idle are more relevant in some cases? Ill report how it goes in the future.im running on lpg only in the uk ..so its slightly different to petrol. but it does go to show how things can fool you.., the problem is do I go to the trouble of retrying the hurth ?? that's one for the future lol .

Last edited by munkymush; 10-05-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkymush View Post
I had a transmission rattle on a hurth 45c which was there at neutral and at idle in gear both ways..it disappeared at just off idle ..I read this was normal in some boxes but didn't happen in all of them ..I decided to swap transmissions to a second hand borg warner 71c.. this by and large cured it apart from a slightly irritating knock /rattle at idle in forward only.. which was loads better than the hurth. a few weeks later I needed to remove my lpg mixer and I noticed it had been leaking between it and the inlet manifold. I sealed this up and refitted ..,now it seems the rattle I had left has 90% gone it definitely idles better in gear ..its now idling quietly at 550 rpm in gear which it always rattled at before? there is lots of writings around saying the idle quality of the engine can cause a low speed rattle. but in my case I never thought it was the problem ..ive only used it twice since this repair but im loads happier with it already ..so I can only assume this air leak was contributing to the slightly unstable idle, although by no means was it running badly? it just had an intermittent tendency to hold a slightly higher idle speed. it pulled like a train and showed no symptoms of being weak at all, so maybe the writings about unstable idle are more relevant in some cases? Ill report how it goes in the future.im running on lpg only in the uk ..so its slightly different to petrol. but it does go to show how things can fool you.., the problem is do I go to the trouble of retrying the hurth ?? that's one for the future lol .
That is very interesting. I am not really looking to change out a transmission, especially after today. I posted in another thread but I changed out the transmission fluid, which had 15W-40 in it, mixed with a little water, as it was pretty milky. I am curious as to how the water entered the case in the first place. The good new for me is that the transmission still make a slight rattle, but sounds much quieter than before. I will check my fluid again in the spring after a few runs to see if the fluid is still milky. It may still have some residual watery oil in there and I may have to drain and refill. Hopefully there is no permanent damage that has been done. It seems to shift and pulls just fine.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
That is very interesting. I am not really looking to change out a transmission, especially after today. I posted in another thread but I changed out the transmission fluid, which had 15W-40 in it, mixed with a little water, as it was pretty milky. I am curious as to how the water entered the case in the first place. The good new for me is that the transmission still make a slight rattle, but sounds much quieter than before. I will check my fluid again in the spring after a few runs to see if the fluid is still milky. It may still have some residual watery oil in there and I may have to drain and refill. Hopefully there is no permanent damage that has been done. It seems to shift and pulls just fine.
Please check transmission cooler - this is the usual first place leaks start. Unless you flooded the bilge.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM
MC Fanatic

I did not flood the bilge, but I do think I need to replace the packing bc I always seem to have more water in the bilge than I think I should, but only a half gallon to a gallon or so, which is quite far from flooding the bilge. I will check the cooler. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I did not flood the bilge, but I do think I need to replace the packing bc I always seem to have more water in the bilge than I think I should, but only a half gallon to a gallon or so, which is quite far from flooding the bilge. I will check the cooler. Thanks.
.5 to 1 gallon in bilge? that's nothing..... that's easily accounted for from packing drip and human drip... -- friend in Moomba (yes moomba) did not check or adjust packing for 3 years... 4 weeks ago - bilge almost full - 3 weeks ago - packing tightened.. now bilge has only a bit of water...

Have a local source for hydraulic hoses? if you wind up taking hoses off - why not put new hoses on.