Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1990, Indmar Ford 351w GT40P, Borg Warner 1/1 Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004, pp stargazer, Acme 13
propeller turning in neutral

Pulled my prostar 190 out of the water last weekend for winterization. Noticed that the propeller still turned a bit in neutral whil on the trailer. Is this normal?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
It's normal, but it is not supposed to do that. The clutch pack develops a glaze as the parts age.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I noticed new fluid reduces the symptom on my 95 with TBI and 1:1 - was surprised to see that.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1990, Indmar Ford 351w GT40P, Borg Warner 1/1 Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004, pp stargazer, Acme 13
Thanks for your answers. Will try changing the tranny oil and see if it makes a difference. How much rotation should I start worrying about? My prop was rotating about 1 revolution per second...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter View Post
Thanks for your answers. Will try changing the tranny oil and see if it makes a difference. How much rotation should I start worrying about? My prop was rotating about 1 revolution per second...
It's very common - I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
It's very common - I wouldn't worry about it.
Agree

I have new synthetic fluid in mine and I have all new clutches, springs, plates, front pump, and seals in my tranny and it spins as the op is describing.

Not a big deal

Change the fluid if it has 100 hrs on it and call it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
You may want to reconsider the use of synthetic in your transmission. Its generally regarded as a no-no in a wet clutch transmission (like those used in motorcycles). Word is that its too slippery, and causes premature failure. PCM specifically warns against the use of synthetic in their transmissions... conventional dex/merc (or dex iii) is the way to go. Avoid high mileage formulations and all additives.

A "dirty neutral" is a sign of a worn tranny... so while it is not proper behavior, it is not exactly abnormal. You should notice that its worse when the engine (and tranny) are cold. If it ever gets to the point where it pushes the boat noticeably in neutral, consider getting it rebuilt. Of course, you should be aware of the potential safety hazard as well.

Last edited by TRBenj; 10-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
You may want to reconsider the use of synthetic in your transmission. Its generally regarded as a no-no in a wet clutch transmission (like those used in motorcycles). Word is that its too slippery, and causes premature failure. PCM specifically warns against the use of synthetic in their transmissions... conventional dex/merc (or dex iii) is the way to go. Avoid high mileage formulations and all additives.

A "dirty neutral" is a sign of a worn tranny... so while it is not proper behavior, it is not exactly abnormal. You should notice that its worse when the engine (and tranny) are cold. If it ever gets to the point where it pushes the boat noticeably in neutral, consider getting it rebuilt. Of
course, you should be aware of the potential safety hazard as well.

ZF/Hurth Tranny's like it cool... here's a tech tip I found. http://www.foleyengines.com/resource...x-step-program