Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
New Scam Tactics?

Posted my boat on Craigslist and here are two responses requesting PayPal info, interesting... I have a PayPal account, thought it was secure, but sure these idiots have figured out a way. Who would ever spend that kind of money for a boat site unseen??? Ad clearly states, transaction will be handled via local dealer. Amazing, yes?

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me. Please assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks...

Thanks for the mail...I will appreciate more pictures..I am ready to buy it now for my son as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below to this email address theelect11s@gmail.com

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) Your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address For Me To Proceed With The Payment?

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address For Me To Proceed With The Payment. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I generally reply to those scams and ask for nude photos of their wife to validate they are sincere

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210VRS, 2000
Sounds like they already have your email, so it's a little scary that they are pursuing you for your paypal info. I don't have the answer, so hopefully someone can chime in. I guess if they have enough info, they might be able to guess your password and scam that way though. Anyway, Craigslist attracts scammers, so always best to be on your toes.

However, if I were selling something using paypal (and it seemed legit), you should ask for their account first so you can send a request for payment and it is all tracked via paypal.

Looking forward to hearing from others since I have a paypal account and use it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM
MC Devotee

They do not have my direct email... I don't think... I did not post it in the ad, only communicated via craigslist email option. Txs - Cracking me up, love it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Use a generic/unreleated email for craigslist. One that isn't setup on your bank accounts, etc. Then reply back with random crap. Have fun with it at that point, if you are stupid enough to send the email with all of your info, then you deserve to be swipped. I hate that for anyone though.

I get almost the same response from everthing I post on CL. lol Just have fun with it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Dear Craiglist dude,

due to the fact that my boat is Winterized and yours is for sale. I will be happy to buy your boat if you send me $ 50,000 first ... by sending me the money first, it will ensure that I can send the money back to you and take delivery of the boat without issue.

Please don't try to call me, I will be ........... crab fishing on the Bering Sea! or doing something without a phone nearby but I will still have high speed Internet access for which to check email.

Thank you in advance for allowing me to do you a favor like this, don't worry about delivery, I will send by a reputable "friend of mine" to aid in the transaction.

Yours in slamming X series boats,

Wilfredo T (my Bering Sea spanish name)

PS - No animals were hurt in the making of this post, but a few politicians may have been!

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 XStar 8.1L Indmar, 2012 X25 6.0L Ilmor
You can Google this Scam, I have recieved this very same Scam a few times on separate items. What they do is send you a Fabricated Paypal look a like email stating the payment is perocessing and try to pick up the merchandise before you become wise of the phony transaction. They try to take advantage of the New to PayPal users and take advantage of there lack of experience with how the transaction process works......I like screwing with them, I always question there "back Story", for example, I had one tell me that they were in the Army Special Forces over seas in Afganistan. Funny thing is that my brother is in fact a Special Forces Green Berae Team Leader in the Army, naturally knowing a little about what my brother does I began to ask questions, he told me (and I thought this was Hilarious) that he couldn't tell me anything because he was on a "Top Secret" mission.....lol.....

I say Google Oceanography, and ask him questions.....it's fun watching them choke on the ack story.....

Past Boats-
2006 XStar
2004 Eliminator 28' Daytona
2000 Eliminator 22' Daytona
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
. Txs - Cracking me up, love it.
"Mr Jones,

Excellent news! I am excited about this! In order for me to validate your identity and credentials, and to conduct business with you, I will immediately need to see nude photographs of your wife in various poses. Please make sure she looks nice in the photos - well groomed, and wearing spike heels, as they really are a turn on for me. Additionally, please be sure if I get a beaver shot, I prefer that it is shaved as well.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the photos and doing business with you,

MC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC190 View Post
then you deserve to be swipped
I hate when that happens

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
My first thought is that the Paypal link in the email is to a fake Paypal site.
MC Devotee

93Prostar190, you crack me up, as per usual. That is one great offer, unless something better comes along this week, let's talk

I still find this way to funny, of course I have only communicated with them initially from the first email asking if the boat was still for sale via the craigslist system. Do they really think they would be able to have Mohamed pick up the boat without cash in hand??? Just don't get it Or are they looking to just steal my cash via PayPal???

Anyone got any rough pictures of an X2, would love to send them and see if they are still interested.