Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Thru Hull Fresh Water Intake Question

Yet another "I'm at work, so I can't go look, but I want to order up a part today" kind of question. So, the fresh water (cooling) thru hull intake is the issue today. Is it simply an elbow without a valve? Is there even an elbow or is it straight up? Is it barbed for the 1 1/4 hose or is it threaded with a barbed adapter? I can picture my ballast thru hull, but not the fresh water one. I kind of remember it being just a straight short deal, but I don't know. It's a '04 X-Star. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you are talking about the raw water intake for raw water cooling, it is a straight shot with no valve. There is a barbed fitting on the inside of the hull where the 1.25" hose attaches. I'm not sure if it is threaded into another fitting on the hull. There is a grated plate on the hull to keep large pieces of junk out.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks. I looked last night, so should have followed up. Yes, just a straight shot with barbed end. Was (and still am) considering a Groco flush kit, thus the question (as it comes with one threaded and one barbed end). Really needs to be a 90 elbow on there to make this fit right in my boat (access, etc.). Thanks TX!

The added bonus to the above setup (if installed low enough) is if you have a bilge emergency, you pull the plug and use the engine to pump out the flooding bilge (might have saved the boat that trashed its skeg when it hit the submerged tree ( or rock as I can't remember) earlier in the Summer). Of course, the above is little more than a fancy "T". would still need a ball or check valve between the Groco unit and the fresh water inlet.

Last edited by deminimis; 09-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
here's some pics anyway...not barbed but thread and nut at base. sorry for the blur got a bit too close...leaning over the engine..
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM

neat idea for emergencies...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Really? I didn't dig into there, but assumed it was barbed. If actually threaded, that would be great. Could install an elbow, ball valve, the Groco flush and I'd be dialed. Much more attractive than changing out the screen/inlet.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:11 PM

at least that is how mine is...no screen just a rake under boat. I believe a screen would be dangerous there. easy to clog...

Also believe threaded cuz had to twist old hose off when I replace hoses.

Last edited by mikeg205; 09-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Sportstar 19/305 Chevy Indmar (4160 Carbed)
Perco Flush/Strainer/Isolation

The GROCO is very interesting, never saw this before. Might use as cheaper alternative for the new acquistion mentioned at bottom (lots of extra parts to reuse).

But, there is no check valve (?) so I think you would need an isolation valve upstream of it to use for flushing/and or bilge draining in an emergency. Then you would need a 90, isolation valve and possibly coupling, and Groco, all in line, right?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Sea+Strainer

FWIW, I bought the above locally, but can return it if my idea doesn't work. This unit acts as a strainer, isolation valve, and flush valve all in one. Because all my boat ops are in the sea, this will be real convenient. Mounting is my current challenge though.

I bought the 3/4" unit (vs 1 1/4") due to much smaller size. Obviously going from 1 1/4" hull opening to 3/4" to strainer inlet and then back to 1 1/4" after strainer outlet was a concern...but I'm thinking that prior to entering the raw water pump inlet, the dia of the raw water hose reduces from 1 1/4" down to 1" anyway, and it's on the suction side, and I do have 1/2 intercooloing, so it might work out. Any nay sayers, chime in plz!!

I will post pics of above configuration....but first...and don't hang me for being a traitor, I just bought a 93Malibu Skier for $3500, w/350 GM mercruiser that got rebuilt and runs like a sewing machine, and she's getting ship shape as I write (bent shaft that PO didn't mention, and since another buyer was right behind me, no sea trials possible, as is...or was...). Getting some practice installing the PSS dripless shaft seal too (google it), as I will add to the Sportstar 19 next when I mod the raw water system and add new tranny cooler.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
MC Fanatic

I've been busy (lazy) and haven't confirmed the thru-hull is threaded. Hoping it is as I ordered the Groco, a ball valve and a male/female 90 degree elbow. The Groco is about the same price as the plastic Perko Flush Pro, so that part seems a no-brainer. The ball valve and elbow add to the cost, but seems to be a better solution for flushing and winterizing. I'll advise y'all on how the install goes.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS 205 1997
About 5 years ago we added a Perko Flush Pro and a Sherwood Water strainer on the cold water intake side of our 97 PS 205.

The first Perko only lasted 1 season. It split apart when I applied full city water pressure while flushing the engine (turned on the hose before starting the engine). FYI -Skidim replaced the unit without question. The replacement has been in use for the last 4 years without a problem. The Perko flush is a great addition and I will always have one or a version of one on our boat, I just wish Perko made it a little more durable.

The Sherwood strainer is placed directly above the raw water intake in the hull of the boat. At the end of every season we clean out the screen and find small amounts of grass etc. but nothing unusual. However this year with the draught and low water levels, we have had to clean out the strainer several time because it became plugged with silt and crud floating in the water. Without the strainer all of this crud would have gone through the transmission cooler, cooling impeller, and water pump causing a lot more headache than cleaning a screen. Given our experience with the strainer, I would not operate a boat without one. Very cheap insurance.