Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 16 foot outboard
Cockpit heater

How well do the cockpit heater assemblies work? We are considering ordering one on a new X-7. Does it heat the whole area or are there just one or two ducts where you can feel the heat?We are in southern Ontario and thought it might help extend the season at both ends.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankb
How well do the cockpit heater assemblies work? We are considering ordering one on a new X-7. Does it heat the whole area or are there just one or two ducts where you can feel the heat?We are in southern Ontario and thought it might help extend the season at both ends.

They work exceptionally well. There are 2 ducts the heat comes out of. ONe underneath the drivers console and heats the feet very well. the other is by the observers seat and heats their feet well.
Unless you are dead set on a brand new X7 that is the same hull, same everything except graphics you might take a quick peak at my X7 for sale. I am sure arranging shipping to you could be done and the whole show would have you on the water for alot less than new. She's fully loaded.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/show...p?product=1094

More about the boat

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ad.php?t=12091

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 205, 1998
The heater is a must-have imo. At least one of the vents should be a pull out snorkel tube. This lets you put the heat wherever you want - in your shirt, shorts, etc. One of the most cost effective comfort items you can have.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef
The heater is a must-have imo. At least one of the vents should be a pull out snorkel tube. This lets you put the heat wherever you want - in your shirt, shorts, etc. One of the most cost effective comfort items you can have.
Agreed. Our Canuck season is short enough as it is -- the heater sure helps!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Must-have. They are great.

Only caveat I'd add is that they don't put out much heat at idle due to decreased flow through the heater core, so consider adding a Y-pipe to re-route the return line to the raw water circuit. This is a well-known fix for the no-heat-at-idle problem.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Must-have. They are great.

Only caveat I'd add is that they don't put out much heat at idle due to decreased flow through the heater core, so consider adding a Y-pipe to re-route the return line to the raw water circuit. This is a well-known fix for the no-heat-at-idle problem.

hmm.......good info Bigmac. Mine must have that and I didn't know it. It heats quite well at idle.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
Old 09-29-2006, 11:05 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandol
hmm.......good info Bigmac. Mine must have that and I didn't know it. It heats quite well at idle.
I don't know if MasterCraft is using that Y-pipe on their new boats, or if they're still returning the water from the core to the engine's circulating pump as in the factory heater in my 2004. IIUC, their major competitor's boats comes standard with that Y-pipe circuit if ordered with a heater.

HeaterCraft's old cores were a little problematic in that they'd give up and leak prematurely in a relatively high percentage of cases. I just replaced the core on my 2004. Their new cores are much better made, and a little bigger.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I don't know if MasterCraft is using that Y-pipe on their new boats, or if they're still returning the water from the core to the engine's circulating pump as in the factory heater in my 2004. IIUC, their major competitor's boats comes standard with that Y-pipe circuit if ordered with a heater.

HeaterCraft's old cores were a little problematic in that they'd give up and leak prematurely in a relatively high percentage of cases. I just replaced the core on my 2004. Their new cores are much better made, and a little bigger.
Interesting.....now you have me curious. Where would this Y pipe be located? I want to check it out this weekend.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
Old 09-29-2006, 11:21 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
I put one in my 98 Anniverary when I bought it and it is the best $ I have spent on my boat. The heat by the driver is great and the pull-out tube for the passengers is really nice.

One thing that I have found that I didn't expect when I bought it, I use it when it is really hot out. I turn off the hot water going to the heater-core and let it blow cool air up at me when idling through no-wake zones. Makes all the difference in the world on a really hot day considering my windshield doesn't open like the new 190's or the 197.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Send a message via AIM to nuckinfutz Send a message via MSN to nuckinfutz Send a message via Yahoo to nuckinfutz Send a message via Skype™ to nuckinfutz
Frank, I wouldnt live life without the heater! Nice in those cold Mornings when its cold outside. Can't say it will heat the whole boat area, but nice if you have a towel or blanket to throw over yeh and let the heater warm up under. Im thinking about replacing my drivers vent with one like the passengers side. This will allow me to tuck the tube under a shirt and warm the upper body if needed.

Just an Idea.