Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Legacyauto11

Cranking issue

I have an 06' X-30 with the Indmar 350 MCX. The problem I am having is with getting the boat to crank consistently. I recently ran the boat out of fuel and when getting it serviced for the summer by my mechanic he had the boat die on him while on the flush kit. He took to fuel pump out of the tank and put it in a 5 Gal. bucket of fuel and put power to it and it did nothing so he replaced it. I picked up the boat a couple days ago from him and put it in the water today and had no issue on the initial crank but as the day went on I noticed that every time I would turn it off I would have to try and crank it 2-3 times if I let it sit for more than a couple minutes. If I just turn it off real quick and turn it back on it doesn't seem to have the issue. A couple times I thought I was going to be stranded on the creek but luckily it eventually would crank up every time. Anybody ever experience this? I'm going to talk with my mechanic tomorrow but wanted to see if anybody had anything on this issue. Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I'm a little confused. Is it a crank but no start, or a click but no crank, or turn the key and nothing?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
My guess would be a fuel pump relay. If it has one, then again, I know nothing about a mcx. Could have been this all along, fuel pump can't work without power. If you can get it to do it again, thump the relay with something. If it starts pumping, you've found the problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
leak inside the tank drawing in air and pump loosing prime?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Did he replace just the pump or the entire unit?
If just the pump, it is possible to not get a good deal on the hose connection at the pump. This can lower pressure and cause hard starting.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
I'm a little confused. Is it a crank but no start, or a click but no crank, or turn the key and nothing?
I agree. Need to clarify the symptom in more detail. My first thought was that the engine was running to hot and went into heat soak when it sat for a few minutes. This would explain why it starts right up if it is shut off for only a few seconds. Had this happen to me. Check temperature gauge.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Legacyauto11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
It will turn over but not crank unless I try it repeatadley 2-3 times. On the 3rd or 4th attempt it eventually cranks.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Legacyauto11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
My guess would be a fuel pump relay. If it has one, then again, I know nothing about a mcx. Could have been this all along, fuel pump can't work without power. If you can get it to do it again, thump the relay with something. If it starts pumping, you've found the problem.
Yes, that could be a possibility and i'll look into that. I talked with my mechanic today, he thinks that the fuel has been sitting too long and it possibly has lost its potency and I am getting water in the injectors and then eventually getting fuel after the 2-3 attempts. He says to run an additive that will cure that and then he says to try running a tank of non ethanol to see if that helps at all. I will mention the relay to him and see what he thinks.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Legacyauto11

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
leak inside the tank drawing in air and pump loosing prime?
That could very well be the issue, I appreciate the input. I'll mention it to my mechanic and see what he thinks.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Legacyauto11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Did he replace just the pump or the entire unit?
If just the pump, it is possible to not get a good deal on the hose connection at the pump. This can lower pressure and cause hard starting.
He only replaced the pump, it was an aftermarket pump as well, which I wasn't crazy about but it was $300 cheaper than the OEM. That was my first though was that he did not install it correctly. The guy is extremely thorough but nobody is perfect, I'll have to mention that to him. He wants me to run an additive to see if its a bad fuel issue before he goes back into the fuel tank. Thanks for the input