Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Sound System Advice

Hello All!

I am getting excited to get my boat out of storage and start working on my spring project of upgrading the sound system! Here in Knoxville, its 70 degrees and summer is coming!

Anyway, I have a few questions. I am looking to replace all of the audio that was in the boat previously. I have currently purchased:

- 4 Polk DB651's
- PPI 900.5 Amp

Needed:

- Sub?
-Wiring
-Head Unit?

So my plan was to wire up the 4 Db's to each channel, then use the last channel on the amp for a sub. I haven't figured out if I should stick with Polk and just buy a 10" or 12" DB amp. Or if it would be better to run something else? I don't have to rumble the lake, but we enjoy bass with our hip hop or whatever. But I don't want to have to purchase another amp. I would like to get something that would be fine on this amp and pump out some good sound.

As for location of the Sub, i've read a few posts about either under the drivers foot area, or in the observers compartment. Either are fine options for me with my 1995 Prostar 205. Currently I've got both batteries, and the amp and everything in the observers compartment. So my first thought is to just put it there so it is all together, but I'm open to ideas.

-Also, I've read a million posts and cant find anything on wiring.. Is there a certain kind or pack I should get to rewire everything? I want to rip the old stuff out and make sure all the audio is clean and updated.

-I currently have a standard head unit in now, but we pretty much always just plug it into our phones to play music. Is there an option for just bluetooth, or just AUX without the whole deck and everything?

Any advice with any of this would be very appreciated! I don't know much at all on the audio stuff, and have made my current purchases based on previous recommendations on here, and things that fit my budget.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Look forward to seeing your progress as I plan to upgrade my audio a bit in the future as well. Any pics of your battery setup? I've been thinking of doing the same but curious how two batteries actually look under the observers seat in a 205.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
For the head unit I like the clarion m505 had it in my old boat. Liked it so I got one for my new to me boat. I would also get a wired remote you can easily access at the helm. With the Bluetooth you can skip songs and such without touching your phone so that's nice. Wish I could help on the sub.