Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Thumbs up Replacement stereo idea for guys with 87-88 Prostars (Jensen MS30)

mods, I meant to post this in the Audio subforum. Would you mind moving it for me please?

Anyone with an 87 or 88 Prostar knows that the dash area makes it nearly impossible to fit a replacement DIN stereo in place with any kind of waterproof cover. The area is just too thin to fit a normal waterproof cover. I tried cobbling together a new cover but it was hard to get it to stay in place and to keep the water out, plus it just looked dated and was cheaply constructed.

I got caught in a storm once early in the summer, and the stereo died. After a summer without any tunes, I was fed up. One problem is that the dash area is VERY limited on this boat.

Wanting to avoid anything with a place for water to enter (an external aux port or CD slot for instance), I decided to give the new Jensen MS-30 a shot. It only takes up 3inches of space, and is completely waterproof.

I bought it from Katerno for under $100 shipped:

http://www.katerno.com/detail/s/3473.../USB---MS30RTL

This unit was just released recently so there are zero reviews of it online. I must be one of the first.

Besides being tiny and waterproof, it is actually a pretty robust little unit for it's size. On the back there are inputs for RCA AUX, as well as a USB input for an MP3 device. Cool!
  • 160 watts (40w x4)
  • IPX6 waterproof design
  • AM/FM
  • Full four channel output
  • USB input for MP3 enable devices
  • Auxiliary input (RCA)
  • Line out audio (RCA)
  • Large, daylight readable LCD display
  • Audio tone, balance and fader controls
  • Zero current memory draw
  • Conformal-coated circuit boards
  • Blue backlit controls (LED illumination)
  • UV-resistant finishes/materials (meets ASTMD4329)
  • Corrosion-resistant materials (meets ASTMB117)
  • FCC/CE certified

There are line outs for your amp, but unfortunately no "remote" line to turn on the amp. To solve that problem, I bought a $12 unit from PAC that will accomplish the task of turning the AMP off when the stereo is no longer in use: PAC TR-4 Car Audio Remote Wire Turn On Wire 2 Second Delay Module

The first thing to do was to sketch out where it would go:

A multipurpose cutting bit on a Dremel made short work of the cut out.

It looks good in it's new home. I should've taken a picture with the unit on, but it skipped my mind. It has a cool blue back light.

Best of all, I can leave this thing outside in the elements without a cover and know it'll work the next day.

The next thing to do is fab up a cover plate for that unsightly hole where my old stereo used to live. I am thinking that I'll powder coat a thin piece of stainless and then have someone etch the Mastercraft logo into it.

FINAL UPDATE

Final post. I finally got some finished photos of this thing in place. So far, so good. We're loving the fact that it's waterproof and has a USB connection. Verdict: this is a great choice for anyone with a '87-'89 PS 190 (with the challenging narrow dash).

If you already had a stereo in place, you will need to come up with a creative way to block off the old hole. i could find a "glove box" to fit that narrow space so I fabricated a plate. Thread here.

Last edited by catamount; 07-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Looks good!

How about a single DIN storage pocket from Metra to fill your current opening?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Looks good!

How about a single DIN storage pocket from Metra to fill your current opening?
That's a great idea! I am going to look into that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
Great work. I had the identical problem with a sony head unit and I choose to go with a fusion head sealed unit that took up a much larger space than the sony head unit and I had to make some mods as well. I cant wait to see how yours turns out,but peace of mind. waterproof
is huge!!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis23 View Post
Great work. I had the identical problem with a sony head unit and I choose to go with a fusion head sealed unit that took up a much larger space than the sony head unit and I had to make some mods as well. I cant wait to see how yours turns out,but peace of mind. waterproof
is huge!!
I installed a Fusion in my '89 and it fit in the old spot w/o much modification. Totally waterproof and good sound!
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Do you have any pics of the finished product I would like to compare
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

did you decide what to do with the head unit hole? maybe just leave the old head unit in?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 85 Mastercraft S&S
Yikes....cutting holes in classic MCs!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis23 View Post
did you decide what to do with the head unit hole? maybe just leave the old head unit in?
I definitely want to pick up a DIN pocket with a door on it, a place to put my registration & insurance paperwork. I just need to find one that fits!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Any updates on this install? How's the Jensen unit working out? I'm going to be replacing a dead head unit in a week or two, and the Jensen is on my short list. I'm planning on doing a Kyle speakerbox for my wake pole and adding a sub. Does the Jensen have the ability to run two external amps?
G