Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Is there a priming procedure for raw water pump on PCM? also rudder shaft play

351. I just changed the impeller (don't worry, I got the cover on in the same orientation it was in before). So the next step is what? I don't want to burn the impeller up or risk it not priming on my first outing!

And in case you're wondering, I haven't driven it before now b/c the po had a good prop strike with it. I did listen to it run before purchase and made sure it goes into gear, but the rest is a mystery to be discovered. Prop strike damage has been repaired/expensive parts on the bottom of the boat have been replaced.

On the rudder shaft, if I grab the rudder there is a slight amount of play between the rudder shaft and whatever it goes into inside the rudder box. Is that a bad thing, and if so, what do I do about it?

edit: it is an 84 powerslot. I dunno why, but sometimes my sig shows up on my posts and sometimes it doesn't! Sig says what boat I have.

Last edited by strad; 09-25-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Some folks like to squirt a small amount of dishwashing liquid inside the impeller housing to lubricate the impeller.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
Some folks like to squirt a small amount of dishwashing liquid inside the impeller housing to lubricate the impeller.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Water-based lubricants work, too. You know the kind.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
When I remove impeller for the winter (5 months) I coat it in Vaseline (down all the vanes) then cover it in cling-film and then store in warm place (in the house). Then, when I reload for new season, I coat the inside of the pump housing with film of Vaseline. I have not changed the impeller for the last three seasons. It remains flexible, no nicks or cuts and the engine temperatures are what they should be. Over here (Uk) an impeller costs circa $70.

On the rudder post, on my old 88 powerslot the rudder shaft had O ring seals which when replaced and packed with grease eliminated play.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Water-based lubricants work, too. You know the kind.
This is what I use. In fact, some of the old Johnson (giggle) impellers used to come with a little tube o' lube.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
When I remove impeller for the winter (5 months) I coat it in Vaseline (down all the vanes) then cover it in cling-film and then store in warm place (in the house). Then, when I reload for new season, I coat the inside of the pump housing with film of Vaseline. I have not changed the impeller for the last three seasons. It remains flexible, no nicks or cuts and the engine temperatures are what they should be. Over here (Uk) an impeller costs circa $70.

On the rudder post, on my old 88 powerslot the rudder shaft had O ring seals which when replaced and packed with grease eliminated play.
On the same level as my last post, does Vaseline degrade rubber or is that just applicable to latex?

/actually a serious question.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
This is what I use. In fact, some of the old Johnson (giggle) impellers used to come with a little tube o' lube.
As they should.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
On the same level as my last post, does Vaseline degrade rubber or is that just applicable to latex?

/actually a serious question.
Petroleum-based lubes can degrade rubber, depending on the compound. That's why auto suspension bushings should be lubed with silicone.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
Sorry been away for a while.
Ive been using Vaseline on impellers for about 20 years. Various MC models. Degradation has never been a problem either in terms of first start of the season or long term durability. As I said I get at least three seasons from an impeller and I've just winterized here in UK and the impeller looks perfect.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Has anyone one come up with a way to revitalize the old Johnson -- impeller?