Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Powerslot 351 Ford
Squeaking noise from underneath

Most of the time, just after slowing down and putting the boat in neutral, I hear a somewhat faint squeaking noise coming from the rear underneath the boat. Has anyone else ever heard of this? It almost sounds to me like the noise the strut bushings would make if you put in in gear out of water. Is this a possibility that it could be bad? This is happening when it's in the water. Just looking for suggestions on what this could be, and if it could be a serious problem. Thanks much

Last edited by deereman; 07-22-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1989
Mine is singing a bit as well after putting it in neutral, I've had it for 2 seasons, strut bearings seems ok after checking them this winter. I'm not too worried about it;-)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Powerslot 351 Ford
The strut bearing is the only thing that I would think would be a possibility.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Your sure its not coming from under the motor box? No way its a belt, pulley, or possibly the tranny? If not than probably the strut? Never heard of it, I would check for play in your shaft. I really have no idea what else it could be.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 190
Might be the shaft slowing down in the packing...That wax can make sounds...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have the gore tex packing from skidim.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-30, LTR 300
I've got a squeak too

I have something like that too-- a sort of squeak/squeal that tapers off over a second or two just as I shift into neutral. I suspect it is the strut bearing... We just got this boat used, and I'm a complete Newb... but I've discovered that it takes 2 hands to turn the prop when in neutral, so something is not aligned right. I'm hoping once I figure out the alignment the squeak will go away as well...
The packing the boat came with (wax/rope) was leaking badly, so I replaced it with the Gore, and on our next outing the squeak appeared (but we'd only had it out once before, so not much comparison...) BTW-- the new packing is still leaking too much, don't know if it's not tight enough or maybe a bent shaft?
Let me know if you figure it out!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

2 hands is way too much I believe. Did you cut the rope and stuff it as per procedure?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-30, LTR 300
Followed the procedure for the Gore packing exactly (and did a lot of reading on these forums as well, quite helpful!) Replaced the 3 rope pieces with Gore pieces. I only tightened it hand tight, although it went from loose to "tight" very quickly, I'd expected to feel some "squish" as the packing tightened, instead it just seemed to suddenly "bottom out". Last weekend it was dripping pretty steady even when the shaft wasn't turning... but we just went out and relied on the bilge pump. The next day it seemed to be leaking a lot less, though hard to tell with some water in the bilge.
I don't think the prop being hard to turn is related to the packing (but I guess I can't be sure as I haven't loosened the packing and tried turning the shaft yet) It just feels way too tight to be coming from the packing that I only hand-tightened. I think it's an alignment and/or prop shaft issue that's causing the stiff turning prop (I've got another post related to this going already)-- so I suspect that the misaligned or bent shaft is putting a load on the strut bearing, which then squeaks as the shaft "spins down" when going into neutral.
I'm hoping once I get the prop to spin freely that the squeak will go away as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Old Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1 New Boat: 2008 X2 MCX
I get the same noise but mine is when I first pop it in gear and I hear it till about 1000 rpms... I figured its the alignment of the shaft. My dealer says they really don't know how to do an allignment; so that's cool.